Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bernadette J W
  • 1 Post By emx
  • 1 Post By Bernadette J W

PO Box questions

Closed Thread

PO Box questions

Hello,

I live in the UK but visit HK a couple of times a year. I'm considering opening a PO Box at the main Central PO and had a few questions.

1) Do I need a permanent address/proof of address to apply for one? I can get one, just a bit of a hassle.
    2) If I apply in person, how soon can I get the keys? On the spot would be good.
    3) How does renewal work; do I physically have to be there on renewal day or can I do it online or something?
    4) Can I get bank statements sent there?

thanks!

It might be a good idea to directly contact the Hong Kong Central Post Office online to find out the answers.

jimbo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by benjai:
    1) Do I need a permanent address/proof of address to apply for one?
    Yes.

2) If I apply in person, how soon can I get the keys? On the spot would be good.
    I got mine many moons ago, but I think I had to bring a card back which they send to your home address to get the keys. This may have changed these days.

3) How does renewal work; do I physically have to be there on renewal day or can I do it online or something?
    Renewals come to the PO Box itself, there is no online renewal at the moment, so you have to pay it in person.

4) Can I get bank statements sent there?
    Some banks are weird with this, some will send to PO boxes and some won't. Most credit card stuff won't.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette J W:
    It might be a good idea to directly contact the Hong Kong Central Post Office online to find out the answers.
    Aren’t they movin?

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    Aren’t they movin?
    All the more reason to email the Hong Kong Post Office to ask the questions. It is kind and helpful of people to give advice and recommendations but it is also prudent to seek the most up-to-date information from the Post Office.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Thanks! The info above is super useful. Will try to give them a call to find out the details.

I have just noticed that there are various Virtual Office providers who can collect mail and do a bit more, all for not much more than a PO Box.

Eg https://www.jumpstartoffices.com/en/...house-central/

Does anyone have experience with these?

In the application form, I have to fill in business name/registration number. Can I leave these blank as its for personal use, or just make something up?

Most of these are corporate providers, hence the need for BR etc. Since thss is personal, doubt they would ask you for anything other than an ID card.

The BR is to make sure you are not hijacking some companies name...

Last time I looked at PO box there was a waiting list. Anyway may have changed.

Virtual office is also an option for you.