Like Tree22Likes

Immigration Scam.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Just don't answer the phone

UK/HKboy likes this.

Lol...Of course....i knew it was a spam call.. John Miller with an Indian accent in HK Govt... .I tried my best to play along to get more info... will probably record it next time.
    But my post was to let people know that the number displayed was the official board number of the Home affairs dept.

MABinPengChau and hannah01 like this.

FYI, been happening for a while. We've talked about this in our forums. Not sure what Indian department or service provider leaked this info.

https://geoexpat.com/forum/54/thread338898.html

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...fake-consulate

MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by siddharth30:
    Lol...Of course....i knew it was a spam call.. John Miller with an Indian accent in HK Govt... .I tried my best to play along to get more info... will probably record it next time.
    But my post was to let people know that the number displayed was the official board number of the Home affairs dept.
    There are tons of free automatic call recorder ACR apps available. If you have an Android it's also very easy to find the call recordings in the file manager if you need to send to someone without having to upgrade to a paid version.
    JAherbert likes this.

John Oliver's piece on robocalls in US

https://www.youtube.com/embed/FO0iG_P0P6M

i am sure there are tonnes of other ways to pull information on birthday, and phone numbers out from system..
    how many forms, social media entree, etc.etc.etc. have we filled up over the years without considering the impact of a breach ; or in fact, not even a breach, just careless info left to the world..

hardworking scammers just need to scan all the FB pages and can deduce the birth date from all the well wishes and etc from friends...

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    i am sure there are tonnes of other ways to pull information on birthday, and phone numbers out from system..
    how many forms, social media entree, etc.etc.etc. have we filled up over the years without considering the impact of a breach ; or in fact, not even a breach, just careless info left to the world..

hardworking scammers just need to scan all the FB pages and can deduce the birth date from all the well wishes and etc from friends...
    But can't that be set so they can't see the messages or am I wrong?

We had done some research on this and apparently these fraudsters obtain information of your name and date of births that you would fill at Indian airports at departureS. That is how they know when you arrived in HK. There were media reports a while back in India on Indian airports dumping immigration slips with other garbage which is a Gold mine for fraudsters.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    But can't that be set so they can't see the messages or am I wrong?
    you can. but how many of us actually did that ? especially if its something that one doesn't use often ? maybe set up years ago and totally forgotten about ?

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    you can. but how many of us actually did that ? especially if its something that one doesn't use often ? maybe set up years ago and totally forgotten about ?
    Well I did, takes a second