Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GeoTommy
  • 1 Post By shri

Island residents warn against Lantau Tomorrow Vision reclamation

Closed Thread

Island residents warn against Lantau Tomorrow Vision reclamation

Good profile + video of Sunshine Island and its residents.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...antau-tomorrow

Sunshine Island, a mostly unknown land mass in the waters east of Hong Kong’s Lantau Island, is Lam’s spiritual home... is the only former resident who returns to stay regularly in a tiny stone hut – the only one on the island which still retains a roof.
    But the magical power the 54-hectare isle holds for Lam may soon be no more, as nearby, a site has been identified for four artificial islands proposed in an ambitious government plan for housing supply.
    “[The reclamation] will damage the ecosystems of the sea and its surrounding areas greatly,” Lam said. “It’s too radical and too large in scale.”
    markranson likes this.

Lantau Tomorrow Vision is arguably Hong Kong’s most important and controversial project. Here’s what you need to know about HK$624 billion plan
    New metropolis on man-made islands will be the most expensive infrastructure project the city has ever seen.
    Reclamation work is scheduled to start in 2025 and the first residents are expected to move in by 2032.

Instead of investing in building more hospitals, let's make more white elephants and bribe all the local construction companies.

Original Post Deleted
    I dunno, I think they're sinking themselves a little too far into this that it has become too much of a face-saving issue to back out. Maybe someone with a Chinese background can comment on if the government could back out and still save face?

They said at the press conference that the $600 billion was just an "estimate" and the cost could go up or down. Can anyone refer to a construction project (say, in the last 10 years) where the price went DOWN? (Not even considering the rising cost of sand...)

we can comment alot on this, lots of pros and cons..
    but the fact is that hk property market, in addition to actual supply demand, is the financial supply demand..

the mere announcement of such a large scale project i believe will have impact in the expectation of the speculator of property and allow for moderation of the property prices...
    what will turn out, nobody knows, but at least give some hope for the young people that are hoping to get a chance to find a roof above their head..

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    what will turn out, nobody knows, but at least give some hope for the young people that are hoping to get a chance to find a roof above their head..
    Being cynical here but the biggest hope that the kids have is that older folks die at a quicker rate than they reproduce.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Being cynical here but the biggest hope that the kids have is that older folks die at a quicker rate than they reproduce.
    i don't disagree. unfortunately hk old gen lifespan is highest in the world now. how did that happen in a highly polluted and stressful environment i don't know, maybe all the old folks are highly determined to enjoy their higher priced housing for a few years more