Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree10Likes

Selling off public housing at a discount is a great way to break the cycle of dependence - But Not in HK

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    It should not and is not entirely true. Social housing does get demolished etc. And there are schemes to 'decant' people from areas that have value to poor out of the way areas. That's the master plan for Kowloon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45196994
    Yes there are exceptions but they are exceptions. There are also wonderful landlords.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Yes there are exceptions but they are exceptions. There are also wonderful landlords.
    So you are looking to re-introduce assured tenancies that John Major repealed just before Labour came to power along with an inflation linked rent control (say max only 1% above inflation).

I do believe lawmakers should make laws as the first resort and directly interfere as a last resort - to help people on the fringes who really need help.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    So you are looking to re-introduce assured tenancies that John Major repealed just before Labour came to power along with an inflation linked rent control (say max only 1% above inflation).

I do believe lawmakers should make laws as the first resort and directly interfere as a last resort - to help people on the fringes who really need help.
    Well clearly I am not looking to introduce anything, I don't vote in the UK because I don't live there any more.

I think the money from selling the social housing should have been used to build more. There should be a good supply of social housing. As long as you pay your rent and are not anti-social then, except in special cases, you should be able to continue to live there. I never mentioned anything about assured tenancies or rent control.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2