Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree50Likes

Are local telemarketers rude or cowards?

Quote Originally Posted by pkboy
    Maybe answer "Wai?" next time, flex your Cantonese skills and waste everyone else's time even more.

If only they had a do not call register, oh wait here it is

https://www.ofca.gov.hk/en/consumer_...ion/index.html
    About as much use as a chocolate teapot. Usual toothless paper tiger.
    pkboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    Yes, so I have learned how to say in Cantonese "Sorry, I don't speak Cantonese, can you please say that in English?". I still get hung up on.

People complaining about expats not being able to communicate in a rather high-level of Cantonese/Chinese has started to piss me off (like whining that expats can't read a legal-jargon Chinese text and expect a translation)... Many expats DO learn some Cantonese/Chinese, it's a very long process, and sometimes we've only just arrived and haven't had much time yet to start learning and never in our lives imagined ending up here, so please give us a break!

And by the way, it's a bilingual city, whereas the UK is not... not a fair comparison.

Would you like to talk about the high level of English competency many Hong Kong locals have? Like being a taxi driver and not knowing the English word "park"?
    I'm surprised by your experience. I ask the same, and the reply I usually get is "Sorry wrong lumbar." Seems they're all suffering from lower back pain.
    Elegiaque and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by juanalias
    Answer with a hearty, “Wai!“. Wait ten seconds. Roll out another “wai!“. Enjoy the pause and spiel-restart. Give it 15 seconds now. Glory in another “wai!“.
    I have made it to four, never five.
    Try repeating this:

"mmm.......mmmm......ho.......ho.......ho la....... ah...... mmmmm.......ok......"
    juanalias likes this.

A confident, 'doi m'jeuh. Dan dan, m'goi. MAAAAMEEEEEE!!!' followed by placing the phone down without disconnecting works too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4