Like Tree50Likes

Are local telemarketers rude or cowards?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are local telemarketers rude or cowards?

Now, I am not trying to be too offensive here, and apologies if I do come across so, BUT what really peeves me off is

1. People calling you (wrong number maybe?), you say hello, and they immediately just hang up instead of saying sorry (or dui mm ju at least)

2. A company that you know wants to talk to you - and they call you - and it diverts to voice mail, but they don't leave a message

Can't they fess up and say a sorry? Can't they leave a VM if they are looking for you?

juanalias likes this.

1. Telemarketers calling. They hear hello, they can't do their pitch in English so they hang up.

2. If they don't like to leave a voice mail then they probably don't like hearing voicemails themselves (I know I don't.) And you got a call from them, you saw their caller-id, why don't you just... Call back?

What is the point of leaving a voicemail? They want to talk to you, you know they want to talk to you, why leave a message when the goal of talking to you won't be achieved by leaving a voicemail? So they leave a voicemail "Hey, this is person who wants to talk to you, must have missed you, call me back @ number you already have because it's on your phone."

If it is necessary for them to leave one, e.g. to give you a different contact number or leave an extension, then rest assured they will leave a voicemail.

civil_servant, jimbo, shri and 2 others like this.

So, how's your Cantonese?

Oh, it might be useful for communication with the locals, on the phone and stuff.

If a telemarketer in the UK got someone speaking Chinese, how polite would you expect them to be?

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    If a telemarketer in the UK got someone speaking Chinese, how polite would you expect them to be?
    Yes, so I have learned how to say in Cantonese "Sorry, I don't speak Cantonese, can you please say that in English?". I still get hung up on.

People complaining about expats not being able to communicate in a rather high-level of Cantonese/Chinese has started to piss me off (like whining that expats can't read a legal-jargon Chinese text and expect a translation)... Many expats DO learn some Cantonese/Chinese, it's a very long process, and sometimes we've only just arrived and haven't had much time yet to start learning and never in our lives imagined ending up here, so please give us a break!

And by the way, it's a bilingual city, whereas the UK is not... not a fair comparison.

Would you like to talk about the high level of English competency many Hong Kong locals have? Like being a taxi driver and not knowing the English word "park"?

If something as minor as this bothers you so much that you needs to post about it..I think you should buy yourself a one way ticket to wherever you came from.

monomono and huja like this.

You gotta love it... Put an insulting bigoted title towards all HK people and then saying you're not trying to be offensive. If this thread doesn't get deleted... well...

monomono, huja and Kowloon Goon like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I wonder what there is to say about someone that moves away and still feel the need to come back and constantly trash a place... Get a life perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    So, how's your Cantonese?

my cantonese is good enough to say sorry if i call a wrong number

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast