Like Tree27Likes

Noise from dogs on boats

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Noise from dogs on boats

so i live in a neighbourhood that seems to have numerous local fishing boats moored around. think these local fishermen also keep a few dogs - i see dogs walking around already the boats.

of late i have been woken up by dogs that live on these boats who have been barking inccessantly throughout at various times through the day and night. eg 5am / 7am / 10pm. it is very strange as this has only happened recently and i was thinking if a swarm of strays have moved in?

so in any case i want to make a complaint - but who is the right person to complain to? the issue is the boats are moored away from the shore so I have no way of gaining access to these boats, and neither do shore based people I presume (FEHD / RSPCA / HK Police). And I cant do more investigations (eg house numbers / owners) in the event I want to do a private action under tort..

And these fishermen have probably been around for many generations... i think my political power here is quite low

From your posts, it sounds like you need to find the airport and go home. Except be sure to pay with exact change.

Why do you think there is an RSPCA here?

In any case, you can call or email 1823.

Is it really so bad though? Are you expecting to keep your windows open at night? And 5 am, yes, can warrant a complaint. 7:00 am and 10:00 pm, no. And I doubt barking dogs -- which are very common in rural areas -- would fall under this.

Any person who between the hours of 11 p.m. and 7 a.m., or at any time on a general holiday in any domestic premises or public place makes or causes to be made any noise which is a source of annoyance to any person commits an offence.
    https://www.elegislation.gov.hk/hk/cap400

I don't know what to say, but it seems like you need to learn how to be more flexible an open to a different way of life here.

PS -- fisherfolk do not own land. They don't have political power and never had.
    Last edited by Elegiaque; 29-01-2019 at 09:31 AM.
    shri, rs4, mrgoodkat and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ermen:
    so i live in a neighbourhood that seems to have numerous local fishing boats moored around. think these local fishermen also keep a few dogs - i see dogs walking around already the boats.

of late i have been woken up by dogs that live on these boats who have been barking inccessantly throughout at various times through the day and night. eg 5am / 7am / 10pm. it is very strange as this has only happened recently and i was thinking if a swarm of strays have moved in?

so in any case i want to make a complaint - but who is the right person to complain to? the issue is the boats are moored away from the shore so I have no way of gaining access to these boats, and neither do shore based people I presume (FEHD / RSPCA / HK Police). And I cant do more investigations (eg house numbers / owners) in the event I want to do a private action under tort..

And these fishermen have probably been around for many generations... i think my political power here is quite low
    Are they moored that close to where you live? The most telling part of your post is the last para about them having been around for many generations. So they were there first.

These dogs are very often kept as guard-dogs as well as human companions, so the barking is most likely sparked by unusual activity and they are doing the job they are kept to do.

If it's only recently, could well be a bitch in heat on one of those boats.

Where is this? I'm curious. Oh and you might want to get some earplugs, available at any pharmacy.

Yes, we have a number of feral dogs and judging from seeing nursing mothers, not spayed or neutered and the male dogs will get pretty excited when someone is in heat...

It seems to me the feral dogs bark less than dogs cooped up in an apartment and start barking every time someone enters or exits the building...

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    Are they moored that close to where you live? The most telling part of your post is the last para about them having been around for many generations. So they were there first.

These dogs are very often kept as guard-dogs as well as human companions, so the barking is most likely sparked by unusual activity and they are doing the job they are kept to do.

If it's only recently, could well be a bitch in heat on one of those boats.

Where is this? I'm curious. Oh and you might want to get some earplugs, available at any pharmacy.
    - Its the boats moored under the Ap Lei Chau bridge and / or the ship yards around there
    - You are right that the fishermen folk have been there first (hence maybe they are powerful like the Heung Yee Kuk or something). But the weird thing is the ferral dogs barking have just started - and its not a one off yup - it just goes on and on - it had gone on for like half an hour ~5am just the other day. i thought it actually came from my apartment building - but it seems that the echo of the water somehow carries it around the entire bay- Its the boats moored under the Ap Lei Chau bridge and / or the ship yards around there
    - You are right that the fishermen folk have been there first (hence maybe they are powerful like the Heung Yee Kuk or something). But I am sure the ferral dogs have not been there before I am. Funny enough the barking have just started - and its not a one off yup - it just goes on and on - it had gone on for like half an hour ~5am just the other day. i thought it actually came from my apartment building - but it seems that the echo of the water somehow carries it around the entire bay

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    From your posts, it sounds like you need to find the airport and go home. Except be sure to pay with exact change.

Why do you think there is an RSPCA here?

In any case, you can call or email 1823.

Is it really so bad though? Are you expecting to keep your windows open at night? And 5 am, yes, can warrant a complaint. 7:00 am and 10:00 pm, no. And I doubt barking dogs -- which are very common in rural areas -- would fall under this.

I don't know what to say, but it seems like you need to learn how to be more flexible an open to a different way of life here.

PS -- fisherfolk do not own land. They don't have political power and never had.

I have been here 7 years now and have only been having problems recently...
    btw windows are dead shut...
    and the legislation concerning dogs are as follows

2. Noise caused by animals

Under section 5(3) of the Noise Control Ordinance ( Cap. 400 ), any person who at any time in any domestic premises or public place keeps an animal or bird that makes noise which is a source of annoyance to any person commits an offence. The maximum penalty for the offence is a fine of $10,000 ( section 5(5) of the Noise Control Ordinance ). It has been held that the test for annoyance is whether it is such that a reasonable person would not tolerate it.

In HKSAR v Chan Oi Chun , the court held that a dog barking continually for 30 minutes or more could amount to a nuisance.

Family CLIC - DAILY LIVES LEGAL ISSUES - Disputes with neighbours - Common types of nuisance: Animals

So bringing this back on topic - would it be the water police that tends to this type of noise complaint?
    Natfixit likes this.

If it's a pack of ferals that just moved in, more of an AFCD case I would think...also a new pack of ferals will definitely get the dogs on the boats a bit crazy because they can't chase them off.

Quote Originally Posted by ermen:
    - Its the boats moored under the Ap Lei Chau bridge and / or the ship yards around there
    - You are right that the fishermen folk have been there first (hence maybe they are powerful like the Heung Yee Kuk or something).
    Ah ha! That was my guess as for the location. Not unrelated to the other thread about poorly built buildings that cost a fortune and have single glazed windows.

Nope. Fisherfolk have no power like the HYK. They are not landowners.

Again, 1823 could maybe tell you who to contact or forward your complaint directly. You can also contact the police if it is happening in the middle of the night. If you suspect a dog is being mistreated you can call the SPCA, but I suspect you'd be wasting their time. Again, Hong Kong mutts are pretty barky animals.

If you've been here for so long, I'm surprised that you seem ignorant about a lot of quirks about Hong Kong, like noisy dogs, defined antisocial hours, HYK power vs fisherfolk, HK taxi drivers not giving correct change, and above all -- SPAM CALLS! What kind of bubble have you been living in?! Please tell me about it -- I'd like to curl up in it for the remainder of my 7 years! I try awfully hard, but even I haven't been able to avoid barking dogs! Next thing, you're going to complain about people bumping into you on the pavement.

What's the discussion here? The law sounds pretty clear to me. And, if you have an animal you need to look after it. Dogs can be trained. And sorry, being here for centuries is totally no excuse. Feels like most dog owners here have no ideas about dogs whatsoever.

What department? Why would you care? Complain to police and let them find the right department.

TheBrit and shri like this.

In the OPs case, best to have the Aberdeen Police Station's general number handy. Call them at 5AM when the noise starts.

MABinPengChau likes this.

1823 will definitely get to the right place - eventually. I use it for illegally parked cars and cars in the bus lane - and it gets to the police eventually. But it's actually faster to contact the police directly if you want action in real time. 999 doesn't seem to mind you calling about trivial matters, but the suggestion to find the local police station is a better one!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast