Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By TigerSun
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 1 Post By TigerSun

Harbour Bioluminescence Light Show

Harbour Bioluminescence Light Show

Was surprised by the brightness of the bio-luminescence kicked up by the pilot boats last night...

https://youtu.be/D9dqca3Aqbc

We get bioluminescence in the marina. It's fascinating and yes, very bright. Then look at it by day. Brown sludge. Yuck.

TigerSun likes this.

Where and when can you see it? Only in certain areas in certain conditions?

Had a look last night in Saikung at the Beach Hotel and didn't see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof
    Where and when can you see it? Only in certain areas in certain conditions?

Had a look last night in Saikung at the Beach Hotel and didn't see anything.
    It's not predictable. Wherever the tides cause an interaction of certain types of algae and pollutants like nitrate runoffs or sewage. There will sometimes be Red Tide warnings posted as it is not a healthy place to swim.

The site below posts warnings although I note that where I saw the luminescence (Kennedy Town) was not mentioned.

https://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/fish..._cur_week.html

Its in the Gold Coast marina right now. Basically brown sludge floating on the top of the water. You only see the bioluminescence at night. I think there must be a lot of red tides right now.

TigerSun likes this.

My favourite experience of bio-luminescence was one midnight walking the dark outer beach of Vancouver Island, near Tofino. The waves crashing on the beach were lit, as were the sands where you walked the water's edge... on impact a ring of light would expand.

Further up the beach was rocky tidal pools exposed by the tide. As the water dripped from the higher rocks there would be a ripple where the drops hit the still water. The sand fleas (larvae?) and other life made erratic light tracks thru the pools. Quite magical.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    My favourite experience of bio-luminescence was one midnight walking the dark outer beach of Vancouver Island, near Tofino. The waves crashing on the beach were lit, as were the sands where you walked the water's edge... on impact a ring of light would expand.

Further up the beach was rocky tidal pools exposed by the tide. As the water dripped from the higher rocks there would be a ripple where the drops hit the still water. The sand fleas (larvae?) and other life made erratic light tracks thru the pools. Quite magical.
    I hadn't imagined the waters around Vancouver being polluted, sounds magical though.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    I hadn't imagined the waters around Vancouver being polluted, sounds magical though.
    Indeed the red tide can occur naturally (even in open seas) and more frequently near coastal estuaries and lagoons. It is fueled by warmer waters with pollution enhancing the show, and as we know, pollution knows no borders.