Like Tree38Likes

Landlord locks my door. What should i do?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

If you are a foreigner then go to your embassy ASAP.
    While your intentions are good. Embassies / consulates are not equipped to handle this sort of situation.
    Fiona in HKG, jrkob and MandM! like this.

Yes, call the police immediately, then go to the Lands Tribunal in Jordan and file a complaint against the landlord. The worse the landlord can do is charge you a late fee. You have rights to the unit until the end of lease or the courts say otherwise. Stand up and use your rights as a tenant!

MandM! likes this.

OP are you a contracted tenant?

Is the person you have been dealing with the owner of the property or a 'letting agent'?

These two things I'm sure will determine how far you can go with this.

Rob2020 and z754103 like this.

In addition, legally it takes about 6 months to evict a tenant in HK, via the housing tribunal. Your landlord cannot exercise the law as he or she sees fit. That is what separates HK from the mainland.

Slumlord vs deadbeat... Pretty sure I know who will come out on top

Call a locksmith and tell them you've locked your keys inside?

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    Call a locksmith and tell them you've locked your keys inside?
    Why does the landlord even have keys? Everyone knows that the first thing you do on moving into a place is to change the locks. Do this as soon as you get back in.
    MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Why does the landlord even have keys? Everyone knows that the first thing you do on moving into a place is to change the locks. Do this as soon as you get back in.
    Brilliant...This person goes to live in a dirt cheap place and has a hard time paying the rent and you think that he/she will fork out money to change the locks. Talk about not relating to the situation. For the record, I've lived in dozens of places and have never once bothered changing locks.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    Brilliant...This person goes to live in a dirt cheap place and has a hard time paying the rent and you think that he/she will fork out money to change the locks. Talk about not relating to the situation. For the record, I've lived in dozens of places and have never once bothered changing locks.
    The key is often left with a dozen agencies while the flat is available for rental and never collected.

To the OP.

Are you legal in HK?

Are you renting a legal flat? With tenancy agreement, stamp duty, etc?

Some short-term serviced apartments run on different contracts - for example, if you lived at a hotel and didn't pay to extend, what rights do you have and what rights does the hotel have?

On a side note, call a locksmith to change the lock, your stuff is inside then it's your place. It is also a police matter.