Like Tree38Likes

Landlord locks my door. What should i do?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    Call a locksmith and tell them you've locked your keys inside?
    If your lease has expired and the tenancy has come to an end then this is breaking and entering - you move from having a civil dispute to committing an offence under the Crimes Ordinance. Just because you have left possessions inside the flat does not mean that your tenancy is still continuing or that you have a right to break into the premises. Your legal remedy is to bring a case before either the Lands Tribunal or the Small Claims Court.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    On a side note, call a locksmith to change the lock, your stuff is inside then it's your place. It is also a police matter.
    With respect, this is legally incorrect. Right to access the property depends on whether the tenancy is still continuing - if the tenancy has ended then breaking in is a criminal offence.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    Brilliant...This person goes to live in a dirt cheap place and has a hard time paying the rent and you think that he/she will fork out money to change the locks. Talk about not relating to the situation. For the record, I've lived in dozens of places and have never once bothered changing locks.
    Not to mention that changing the locks will often be a breach of the terms of the lease.

Original Post Deleted
    If there is a valid tenancy agreement then this is correct - the landlord has to go through the courts to recover possession. CLIC - Landlord & Tenant - My tenant has failed to pay rent for two months. What can I do to recover the rent and the possession of my property?

However, if it is simply a week-to-week or month-to-month arrangement (similar to a serviced apartment) then there may not be an ongoing tenancy agreement.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes same for me (or ones I arranged).

Original Post Deleted
    Who the heck is paying 5-6k a month in HK for a serviced apartment? Get real. This is a slumlord sub-divided shithole with a landlord who does not care what the law says.

Original Post Deleted
    And likewise my comment was addressed at him, not you. I should probably have quoted him, I was being lazy.

Original Post Deleted
    Won't it depend if he can prove he is the tenant and therefore has rightful access? And then how will police find the 'landlord' who probably isn't quite that anyway. OP seems to have gone quiet.

I think what would be most helpful for the OP is to get some counselling and some guidance to get themselves sorted. It sounds like a helper who is now stuck homeless. Are there churches that can assist or other shelters that provide temporary aid and advice to help? I don't know... difficult if the situation has some issues with illegal activity.

@Dash0331, some suggestions of organizations you can reach out to (note, I'm not very familiar with these organizations so I'm not completely sure if they can help):

ImpactHK, located in Olympic can maybe provide you a temporary bed at their Guest Room: Guestroom address: 29 Oak Street, Tai Kok Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong. You can message them on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/impacthkcharity/

Enrich Hong Kong can help you sort out your finances and help teach you how to avoid situations like this. They are a very supportive group. You can call and arrange a talk with someone who can give you financial advice, even, I think, in an emergency situation like yours: - Enrich HK. Their phone is: 2386 5811. And their facebook is: https://www.facebook.com/enrichhk.org

I think churches might be prepared to help you, too. Do you have any friends who have a church they go to? If not, you can maybe contact St. John's Cathedral's HELP for Domestic Workers: HELP for Domestic Workers – Formerly Helpers for Domestic Helpers.

If you have a bad employer and need to get yourself out of that situation, consider working with the Fair Employment Agency so in the future you don't have to pay any agency fees: Domestic Helper Jobs - No Placement Fee - Fair Employment Agency

None of these organizations will give you a loan, but it seems you need urgent help to sort out your finances and work relations so you have the power to live somewhere more reasonable. All of these organizations can help get you on your feet and in a better position. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I think what would be most helpful for the OP is to get some counselling and some guidance to get themselves sorted. It sounds like a helper who is now stuck homeless. Are there churches that can assist or other shelters that provide temporary aid and advice to help? I don't know... difficult if the situation has some issues with illegal activity.
    One month rent was described as 5-6K. This is unlikely to be a helper.
    HK_Katherine likes this.