Like Tree54Likes

The Abandoned Village of Ma Wan

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by finnigantodd:
    Very nicely done. For context, I have roughly 30 years of film and video experience. And over the last few years am learning the art of making better audio for video.

Frankly, if you don't have much experience, then this is super amazingly well done! As far as the audio, and the separation of music vs voice and ambient sounds, and levels, well that is a deep rabbit hole indeed.

Basically the sound will sound different on every set of speakers you play it on. And turning the music down may sound fine on your speakers, but not another person's speakers. To deal with this problem, there are what are called Studio Reference Monitors, which in theory you use to mix (adjust) your sound with, and it will tell you how your video really sounds. And then again in theory, done well, your video then will play back and sound good on any speaker you then play it on (it will translate well). From car radio, to phone, to large theatre.

This is a craft in and of itself, and for some this is their career. Age is a big factor in this. I learned the hard way that younger audiences like louder music, because they have younger hearing. I'm older, and as we age, it gets increasingly harder to separate sounds. I played your video on both sets of my studio monitors. I use a set of Auratones, and a set of JBL 4208s to get an idea of what it actually sounds like.

It sounds quite good actually. But I agree there are parts where it gets hard to separate the voice and the music. But that is because I'm not young lol. I think the mix is about right for a 20 - 25 year old demographic. Younger than that would like the music a bit higher than it is I would think.

I have the reverse problem, where I have to mix music louder than I like, because I'm older than the audiences I am creating videos for. Studio monitors are not cheap, so another approach to this like you mentioned is playing it on several different sets of speakers, and adjusting it until it sounds good on all of them.

If you really want to get fancy, the approach audio folks use is not so much turning down the music, but equalising it. Basically you reduce the frequencies in the music that are competing with your voice, and making it hard to hear. Its like cutting a notch in the music for your voice. I use Reaper software to do this along with the studio monitors. I also use this to equalise and adjust my voice to be clearer and easier to understand. You can also sometimes reduce unwanted noise like your footsteps. Reaper is a flexible and inexpensive software, but it does take time to master. I'm still learning. There are other like Logic on the Mac.

As I live in Hong Kong, thought I would jump in and offer some of what I’ve learned, hoping it may be of use. I don’t run into many here that I can help out that way. Apologies if this isn’t new to you, but as a video guy it took me a long time to sort all of this out and find software and hardware that worked for me to help improve my videos sound. Hope this is of some use.

This is great advice thanks. I didn't take the age issue into account when editing. So far no one on my social media or any of my friends I've sent the video has mentioned any music volume issues as all my friends are my age. But yes, this is definitely something I'll take into account for the next video. I'll look into the equalising software you mentioned and also test out playing the next video on other devices and speakers to make sure its all ok.
    imparanoic likes this.

Sure you are welcome. Yeah the age thing is one of those things you would never think about honestly. Same with fonts. Older audiences need bigger fonts although it is not as big an issue as the music thing. There is a "rule" outlier somewhere on fonts on the internet. And FYI there are lots of programs for this sort of thing, everyone has their own DAW preference. One reason I use Reaper is because I edit with FCPX, and there is a good software program that allows the 2 (Reaper DAW and FCPX) talk to each other called "Vordio." Vordio | Audio post production workflow reimagined. Building tools for faster sound editing.
    It says Vordio also works in Premiere but I have not tried that. There is also Logic Pro which as I understand is sort of GarageBand on steroids, that works with FCPX, but I have not used that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    My opinions...

For the story, I am still rather confused. I have never understood this: why did the old village have to be closed? It's quite separate from the Park Island a new Ma Wan development. Who had anything to gain by closing that village? Why is it kept close now? The facts of the story are still quite unclear to me.
    Me too. I live on Ma Wan and am interested to understand the background. One view I heard (not idea if there is any truth in it) is that there was and intention to develop that village into some kind of theme park but that some villagers refused to move.

There are still a few inhabited houses in the village and the government still clean and maintain paths, lighting etc. I would have thought though that it would not be difficult to evict people if someone owned the land. So that version doesn't really make sense.

The current version is sad. If that village was still lived in it could be so vibrant. could be lovely little restaurants down there. It could feel a little like Lamma Island or Tai O and this would create income for locals. Some lovely houses there which I would be happy living in if they were developed.

The bridge couldn't be built with the old village there due to not meeting the noise regulations, that is why the village was moved as part of the development of Park Island. The old village was supposed to be granted to SHK to be used for part of the theme park (with Noahs Ark) in return for building the new Ma Wan Village, but I'm not sure why that last phase didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz:
    The bridge couldn't be built with the old village there due to not meeting the noise regulations, that is why the village was moved as part of the development of Park Island. The old village was supposed to be granted to SHK to be used for part of the theme park (with Noahs Ark) in return for building the new Ma Wan Village, but I'm not sure why that last phase didn't happen.
    so the gov relocated the old villagers (some reluctanly) so the bridge could be built without the old villager complaining about the noise? but there is some sort of disagreement with the ark and the new village built by SHK in return for subsided flats/houses for the old villagers?

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    so the gov relocated the old villagers (some reluctanly) so the bridge could be built without the old villager complaining about the noise?
    There are noise standards and the bridge could not be approved with the village in its old location and for the bridge to go ahead the village needed to be moved, it is not about the villagers complaining.
    MABinPengChau and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    but there is some sort of disagreement with the ark and the new village built by SHK in return for subsided flats/houses for the old villagers?
    The new village was built and the villagers relocated.

The original intention was for the old village to be used as part of the theme park, but for reasons unknown to me this did not happen. Maybe SHK decided they did not want it, there does not necessarily have to have been any disagreements. I cannot shed any light on this part, I do not state there was any disagreements. I do not know what happened at this final stage.
    imparanoic and Elegiaque like this.

Natfixit likes this.

New video by the OP

https://youtu.be/UVXEyhlBouc

imparanoic and mused like this.

The OP has some real nice video which stopped a few months ago, now we have some new videos that's great news.

shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4