Like Tree45Likes

Why do Hong Kongers abuse the use of hazard lights ?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    It is not only the fact that you save so little time but the cost of that couple of minutes on your wellbeing. My friend and I both drive on the insanity of Philippine roads. He is angry all the time, shouting swearing. I just laugh at it. You can see how that anger carries over into the rest of his life.
    This is one of the reasons I won't own a car in HK (the other being that it makes little financial sense on the island).

I have found that in HK, driving in the style of being totally chilled out and "I'll get there when I get there" seems to work best. It is also no coincidence that I have one of those soul-sapping boring family cars as well

On my daily drive to work I have to pass through a couple of Autotolls and often end up being overtaken 2 or 3 times by the same car as I have invariably had a shorter journey by just staying in the same lane. They also often change lanes, aggressively zig zagging about trying to get that extra 1m advantage. Those same cars also do not have autotoll and it would seem that all their lane changing every 50m or so does them nothing at all and ends up delaying their journey.

I agree the hazards thing is wrong but it is just accepted. If you drive enough you know the Police do not drive properly either, so waiting for them to do something is futile. There are so many other things they should pull cars over for but they never do. Back windows full up with shit like teddy bears and tissue boxes, tinted windows, kids not in their seats, people on phones, incorrect number plate lettering, etc...

Skyhook, JHCH and MerMer like this.

Use of hazard warning lights across HK’s roads is typical self-centred, don’t care who a f*ck about anyone else attitude, and plain wrong, not what they’re meant for. Proper bus drivers don’t do it, but mini-bus drivers do it all the time. If you’re going to pull over to the hard shoulder, indicate left (FFS). If we’re driving properly we should have a safe distance to react appropriately.

If you object that much write to the Transport Dept, and there’s probs some part of the Police to whom you can address this, too.

Remaining chilled at the wheel is definitely sage advice.

At least don’t have road rage in HK, generally - unlike the UK.

JHCH likes this.

Although I believe driving skills here have some sort of minimum standard and are not in the minus, like across the northern border, there is still plenty of room for improvements.

Here it seems like most drivers are totally desensitized from any sort of external signals. Be it hard lights, horns, light signals. Signaling a car with no headlights at night is a nice gesture, but feels I do something totally useless. Same for the rear fog lights, where most people probably never heard or read when or how to use them.

A pretty new trend in recent years are the hazard lights while driving in the rain. You drive with hazard lights in the rain, so how you warn people if you get stuck on the road?

But seems here police is more concerned with parking tickets rather than doing something that improves road safety.

Anyway, a good example of a desensitized ex driver:

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    A pretty new trend in recent years are the hazard lights while driving in the rain. You drive with hazard lights in the rain, so how you warn people if you get stuck on the road?
    They do this a lot in China where I do a fair amount of driving. It annoys the shit out of me.

But... if everyone does it except me, am I the one being unsafe?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4