Like Tree45Likes

Why do Hong Kongers abuse the use of hazard lights ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Why do Hong Kongers abuse the use of hazard lights ?

Having been driving in, Australia solidly for the past 15 months, I saw my first legit vehicle breakdown with hazard lights on, in the left hand service lane, Brisbane bound on the Bruce Highway last night....This got me thinking how often I saw hazard lights being abused for every damn little thing in, Hong Kong, on a daily basis.

Having driven thousands of km in Continental Europe, the Middle East and the US, I'm wondering what caused this uniquely, Hong Kong, prolific hazard light use phenomenon ? Just why ?

Or is it just one of those weird, more irritating HK traits, like zig zagging when walking on foot paths and my personal favourite, the on off throttle pump that taxi drivers do, thinking they'll save fuel when a gentle constant throttle input, lifting off on downhill roads ( coasting ) generally works out better for fuel consumption and comfort of the passenger. who taught them these bad habits, where did they originate from ?

jdf21st and timonoj like this.

The hazard light use seems to have developed in recent years. It is a useful tool which allows drivers to do whatever they want, as long as the hazards are going you can make any manoeuvre.

e.g turn left, turn right, stopping mid-lane to look around, stopping in a location that blocks traffic, stopping at traffic lights, traffic jam, leaving a a car parking space, driving down the hard shoulder when creating a personal traffic jam by-pass lane,

What I want to know is- how do drivers get the hazards on so quick? Have they installed a steering wheel hazard switch? If I want hazards, I have to reach across the dashboard to find the button.

Skyhook likes this.

One would wish they used indicators as much as hazard lights here!

And what is with the fog lights on taxis during fine weather.

Skyhook and aslan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kittykaitak:
    The hazard light use seems to have developed in recent years. It is a useful tool which allows drivers to do whatever they want, as long as the hazards are going you can make any manoeuvre.

e.g turn left, turn right, stopping mid-lane to look around, stopping in a location that blocks traffic, stopping at traffic lights, traffic jam, leaving a a car parking space, driving down the hard shoulder when creating a personal traffic jam by-pass lane,

What I want to know is- how do drivers get the hazards on so quick? Have they installed a steering wheel hazard switch? If I want hazards, I have to reach across the dashboard to find the button.
    ok, so it's a territorial thing? The, 'I dont want to share the road with other road users, button' by not indicating their on road intent to other road users, who might benefit from some common courtesy. so basically, no better than not indicating at all !

maybe immune, seen sensible hazard use, particularly blind exits from the highway, like route 7 / Kowloon Bay, where the traffic is static, hazards stop drivers piling into stationary vehicles. prefer something rather than nothing

Haven't seen any abuse of hazard lights here yet. Usual scenarios are turning on hazard lights at the end of a traffic jam to warn following vehicles, totally sensible and done the same way in Europe. One or two short flashes as some kind of thank you to the following car for letting one merge, debatable, but not an abuse imho. I think that one comes from Japan. Hazards on when slowing down by the side of the road to drop off passengers, sensible as well. What kind of scenario do you think is abuse?

I'm way more annoyed by the lack of indicating and left/middle lane hogging done here.

Imho driving skills overall have taken a dive since CEPA allowed for Mainland driving licenses to be directly exchanged to HK ones a decade or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    One or two short flashes as some kind of thank you to the following car for letting one merge, debatable, but not an abuse imho.
    Often from bus drivers if they can't thank you with a wave of the hand through the side window. See the thank you blink in most countries except North America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx4WnhzQdmc

I agree, I've seen mostly sensible use of hazard lights here, I appreciate it when at the end of a traffic jam.
    If only drivers used their bloody indicators here!

Kowloon Goon likes this.

i actually noticd that drivers turn on their hazard lghts when needed to decelerate quickly.

thought that was a clever gesture so i ended up copying them

Walter White likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ermen:
    i actually noticd that drivers turn on their hazard lghts when needed to decelerate quickly.

thought that was a clever gesture so i ended up copying them
    Isn't that what brake lights are for? You see the brake lights on the car or cars ahead and prepare to brake yourself.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast