Like Tree110Likes

R.I.P - Fired Filipina cancer patient exposes plight of HK’s foreign maids

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    This is nothing to do with compassion but on upholding up the law which they are keen on in so many other areas.

What gets me is how do these employers sleep at night? They wouldn’t treat pets this way (or maybe they would).

There are a few things that irritate me about HK but we can all learn to live with them. This one incenses me.
    I suppose right now there is a lack of supply of DH in HK right now. Many families have an immediate need for a DH and there isn't enough. When I interviewed my helper, she had back to back interviews and a choice of whom to work for. I did not want to get a newbie and was pleased hiring an experienced DH this time. (20+ years in HK)

If there really is a problem, I'm sure it could be reported and investigated. I'm not saying there isn't a problem but I don't think it is as bad as you say it is. But why don't the 5-10 people on here do something about it? Create a support group for those helpers in bad situations, create an app or forum for DH to voice complaints and they could be looked at and a course of action planned. It could even include interviewing and matching these helpers with incoming expats who need help so the helper could say peace out and move onto a better opportunity with a documented complaint against the previous employer. There are things that you could do to help, but to say HK and it's people are bad is not a solution at all and it doesn't encourage anyone to want to help.

There should be no comparison to other countries, stuff happens everywhere and workers are exploited. But giving too many rights and benefits for simple jobs with no education/training creates issues itself. Entitlement, not showing up to work frequently. Some rules are needed otherwise it's a constant battle.

Also, there is a reason why jobs pay differently, but it seems a lot of people on this forum are highly upset about pay differences, so why don't you pitch communism. It's like you want democratic, you want rights as an employee. So what happens one day when you are the employer? Do you have a magical wand that can form a company with all processes and procedures in place and a healthy revenue chain to distribute to the staff? I mean come on...
    GentleGeorge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:

If there really is a problem, I'm sure it could be reported and investigated.
    Just this statement highlights how clueless and out of touch you are. Do you know what happens if a DH complains? Not quite the same as what happens if you complain from your ivory tower. She'll have to leave HK within a couple of weeks. She loses her job, gets kicked out of HK, gets no references and ends up back where she started. Unless she has been disfigured or badly injured, nothing much will likely happen apart from the fact the employer MAY have a harder time getting a new DH.

There are support groups already but nothing will change the basic fact that the system is rigged against them in favor of employers.

Exactly. All talk no action. If you two care so much, do something to help the situation.

Exactly. All talk no action. If you two care so much, do something to help the situation.
    Given what you have written I am very concerned that you employ people in the Philippines (or anywhere else). There are plenty of people who do help, we did, but the system is rigged as has been said.

That's where we are different. I'm an employer, you're an employee. If someone doesn't like working for me, they can leave. Those who have demonstrated capabilities to do their job have stuck with me. So I am confident I'm doing something right. I find my team is grateful to have work, and if that changes, I'll find a new market. I won't battle the system and say it's broke, I'll adjust and find a viable solution to ensure the sustainability of my company.

That's where we are different. I'm an employer, you're an employee. If someone doesn't like working for me, they can leave. Those who have demonstrated capabilities to do their job have stuck with me. So I am confident I'm doing something right. I find my team is grateful to have work, and if that changes, I'll find a new market. I won't battle the system and say it's broke, I'll adjust and find a viable solution to ensure the sustainability of my company.
    I am not an employee. You really live in your own world, bubble. The helper situation is not one I can change. I can try to understand and I can try to help. What you are saying is you are alright and screw anyone else. Horrendously selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Horrendously selfish.
    These two words perfectly describe 99.9% of the people on the planet... Many of us pay lip service to whatever cause we believe in and occasionally do a few good deeds but when push comes to shove, virtually everyone is looking out for number one and maybe a couple of people around them.

I loved the results of a study that illustrates this point. It was about the moral dilemma scenario of self driving vehicles. A very large majority believe that in general, vehicles should have a mostly utilitarian approach and take the action that would result in less casualties even if that included the passenger. Asked if they would buy a vehicle that might choose to kill the passenger to save more people, most said they would not buy it. That represents perfectly what we are...

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    These two words perfectly describe 99.9% of the people on the planet... Many of us pay lip service to whatever cause we believe in and occasionally do a few good deeds but when push comes to shove, virtually everyone is looking out for number one and maybe a couple of people around them.

I loved the results of a study that illustrates this point. It was about the moral dilemma scenario of self driving vehicles. A very large majority believe that in general, vehicles should have a mostly utilitarian approach and take the action that would result in less casualties even if that included the passenger. Asked if they would buy a vehicle that might choose to kill the passenger to save more people, most said they would not buy it. That represents perfectly what we are...
    But some are more horrendously selfish than others

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    Asked if they would buy a vehicle that might choose to kill the passenger to save more people, most said they would not buy it. That represents perfectly what we are...
    All of these 'philosophical dilemmas' present a false dichotomy.

The fact that people choose the latter mostly represents their lack of trust in the robot making the decision or the 'expert' who programmed it, rather than a view on the underlying logic.

Academic philosophers seem to miss that.
    hullexile, jgl and MandM! like this.

How about a Hong Kong real world moral dilemma instead. You are driving a car on one of the many narrow two lane mountain roads. As you round a blind corner suddenly you see a bicyclist a few feet in front of you going slowly and a bus coming the opposite way. You know you won’t be able to stop in time, do you run over the cyclist or swerve in front of the bus?

I think my instinct would be to swerve in front of the bus, but intellectually I still can’t decide what is the better option because it is not just me or the cyclist but the bus driver and passengers as well.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast