Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12
Like Tree108Likes

Fired Filipina cancer patient exposes plight of HK’s foreign maids

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge
    All of these 'philosophical dilemmas' present a false dichotomy.

The fact that people choose the latter mostly represents their lack of trust in the robot making the decision or the 'expert' who programmed it, rather than a view on the underlying logic.

Academic philosophers seem to miss that.
    I love it when someone pretends to know why people make choices. In my opinion, if people were to be behind the wheel of a car and had a choice of hitting/killing people and going down a ravine and probably kill themselves, a very high percentage would hit people. Some or many might say otherwise to make themselves look good but I doubt that it would reflect reality.

As to the one hitting the cyclist, there's a scenario missing which is swerving away from the bus wherever that would be. In any case, most car drivers would prefer to hit the cyclist head on than scratch their precious car. In many cases, they avoid cyclists to avoid trouble with the police and damage to their cars not because of their respect of others. A car driver in HK is by definition a selfish individual that prioritize his/her convenience over what is best for everyone.

I remember the charming video where a child was mowed down a few years back and not only did passer by ignore it, someone ran over her again. That's the world we live in... Great at paying lip service, not so much when it comes to following through.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    I love it when someone pretends to know why people make choices. In my opinion, if people were to be behind the wheel of a car and had a choice of hitting/killing people and going down a ravine and probably kill themselves, a very high percentage would hit people. Some or many might say otherwise to make themselves look good but I doubt that it would reflect reality.

As to the one hitting the cyclist, there's a scenario missing which is swerving away from the bus wherever that would be. In any case, most car drivers would prefer to hit the cyclist head on than scratch their precious car. In many cases, they avoid cyclists to avoid trouble with the police and damage to their cars not because of their respect of others. A car driver in HK is by definition a selfish individual that prioritize his/her convenience over what is best for everyone.

I remember the charming video where a child was mowed down a few years back and not only did passer by ignore it, someone ran over her again. That's the world we live in... Great at paying lip service, not so much when it comes to following through.
    Don't you see the contradiction between the first sentence and the second paragraph?
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    Don't you see the contradiction between the first sentence and the second paragraph?
    What I said is stated as an opinion, not a fact which is in black and white at the beginning. The previous poster phrased the remark as if it was fact which it isn't. I am sure many have different opinions, it doesn't make mine or theirs false. No one really knows what people think nor what they would do in dire situations. That is my view of people and the world, to each their own. It's not hard to find evidence that support different views. There are many examples of selfless people doing good deeds, in my opinion there more of either apathy or worse.

One of the reasons I reject the concept of a deity is that if something oversees us then it's a very twisted or ineffective entity with all the tragedies and massacres that have happened on a daily basis throughout history. I'm happy to flip it the bird.

Ugh. Some people are utter scum, and Malaysia does itself no favours either.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12