Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6
Like Tree64Likes

Fired Filipina cancer patient exposes plight of HK’s foreign maids

Quote Originally Posted by AJZ
    Wow! A quick internet search shows this is not unknown in the UK, Canada, the US... other women fired for getting cancer. And In the US they would maybe lose medical insurance. But they are not included? Why?
    Why would they be included in an article about a helper in Hong Kong? Can you link to a story about a woman getting fired in the UK for having cancer?

What a mess this has become. People, offer your helpers pap smears!!! Something positive that could come out of this is that it becomes a requirement, at the employers expense, for helpers to get a pap smear as part of their medical checks.

Was she required to appear the day after she had chemo? That's awful.

Last edited by Elegiaque; 16-03-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    What a mess this has become. People, offer your helpers pap smears!!! Something positive that could come out of this is that it becomes a requirement, at the employers expense, for helpers to get a pap smear as part of their medical checks.
    She came to HK in 2017 and all the helpers have a medical exam for clearance in Philippines before departing. So does this exam include a smear? I would have assumed to but there's no way she had a smear in 2017 that was clear and in 2019 is in stage 3 cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by AJZ
    Wow! A quick internet search shows this is not unknown in the UK, Canada, the US... other women fired for getting cancer. And In the US they would maybe lose medical insurance. But they are not included? Why?
    In your world, how many wrongs make a right?
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    She came to HK in 2017 and all the helpers have a medical exam for clearance in Philippines before departing. So does this exam include a smear? I would have assumed to but there's no way she had a smear in 2017 that was clear and in 2019 is in stage 3 cancer.
    Google:

A standard medical check up for Hong Kong domestic helpers usually comprises of :

VDRL
    HBsAg
    HIV
    Stool Routine
    Urine Routine
    Urine for Pregnancy
    Chest X-Ray

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Google:

A standard medical check up for Hong Kong domestic helpers usually comprises of :

VDRL
    HBsAg
    HIV
    Stool Routine
    Urine Routine
    Urine for Pregnancy
    Chest X-Ray
    Interesting. Smears are pretty standard as part of a well woman check. When I hired from Philippines I don't believe I had the option to arrange additional medical tests and I certainly wouldn't trust the agent to know what I was asking and send them to a good clinic over there. Seems difficult for an employer to do it in advance.

I do send my helper to an annual well check up in HK and I will double check that includes a smear from now on.
    chuckster007 and Elegiaque like this.

Interesting. Smears are pretty standard as part of a well woman check. When I hired from Philippines I don't believe I had the option to arrange additional medical tests and I certainly wouldn't trust the agent to know what I was asking and send them to a good clinic over there. Seems difficult for an employer to do it in advance.

I do send my helper to an annual well check up in HK and I will double check that includes a smear from now on.
    The medical checks are as far I am concerned there to protect the employer not a health check for the helper.

So does this exam include a smear?
    I tried to do some digging and it seems very RARE that pap smear test is done for clearance, even when the helper arrives in HK, some employers ask the helpers to get a new medical test done and even those packages doesnt contain anything to do with Cancer or Pap smear as the package price is usually under HK$1000 but if you want additional tests done then it can be additional HK$3900 which most employers wont fork out. even the agencies will direct you to the basic tests.

https://www.qhms.com/health-screenin...6.aspx?lang=en

Good Link Consultants - Overseas Maids | Body Check | Insurance > HEALTH CHECK-UP > Female Medical Check-up > Female Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    I tried to do some digging and it seems very RARE that pap smear test is done for clearance, even when the helper arrives in HK, some employers ask the helpers to get a new medical test done and even those packages doesnt contain anything to do with Cancer or Pap smear as the package price is usually under HK$1000 but if you want additional tests done then it can be additional HK$3900 which most employers wont fork out. even the agencies will direct you to the basic tests.

https://www.qhms.com/health-screenin...6.aspx?lang=en

Good Link Consultants - Overseas Maids | Body Check | Insurance > HEALTH CHECK-UP > Female Medical Check-up > Female Cancer
    A smear isn't a cancer screening though, it wouldn't be that expensive. It just can see if there are abnormal cells, you'd have to go back for additional tests to find out what it was later.

I've just Googled and it can be done at Family Planning for $500.

Pap smears can be done for as little as $300. And of course it isn't included... it's also not included with health insurance coverage here in Hong Kong, even though twice yearly pap smears are normal in other countries.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6