Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

HK Driving Licence Application

Quote Originally Posted by littlemermaid
    In that case why do you even bother to get a HK license? You can drive with a UK license for up to 12 months?

[FONT="]3. Driving in Hong Kong for Overseas Driving Licence Holders[/FONT]
    [FONT="]For overseas driving licence holders who wish to drive in Hong Kong, they may do so through one of the following means-[/FONT]
    (a) Apply for a full driving licence by direct issue without test;
    (b) Apply for a temporary driving licence; or
    (c) Driving on strength of their valid overseas driving licence or international driving permit if they are visitors to Hong Kong (visitors mean that they arrive at Hong Kong other than to take up residence for a period not exceeding 12 months).

I have asked my police officer friend, if you' ve Hkid card you're not a tourist and you need to change to HK card as soon as possible, while they let you off a single occasion, if you get stopped again, technically , insurance won't cover you with a valid driver's license and they could take you to the station

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    go to any random mobile phone service provider, sign a I dont know cheapest monthly plan with shortest number of months to your new address is the easiest way I can think of.
    I wondered about this, seems like it would be difficult to get anything less than an 18 month contract though.

It's unlikely they'd accept regular mail in my name and that address I guess...

Thanks for the replies anyhow!

What type of visa are you on? Have you received any letters from the Immigration Department? Perhaps that can count as proof of address.
    Or if you have been here almost 12 months have you filed a tax return? Perhaps you can use a letter from the IRD as proof?

The TD also accepts correspondence from charitable organizations like UNICEF or the Community Chest as proof. Make a donation and ask for a mailed receipt in your name to your address. It should work, at least according to their website.

Quote Originally Posted by AmRa6
    What type of visa are you on? Have you received any letters from the Immigration Department? Perhaps that can count as proof of address.
    Or if you have been here almost 12 months have you filed a tax return? Perhaps you can use a letter from the IRD as proof?

The TD also accepts correspondence from charitable organizations like UNICEF or the Community Chest as proof. Make a donation and ask for a mailed receipt in your name to your address. It should work, at least according to their website.
    Thanks for this - I think if I'm able to build up a little collection of 'evidence' that I am in fact staying at that address then that will be my best shot

If you look on the Transport dept website they have a VERY specific (albeit generous) list of what they will accept as proof of address. I wouldn't bother going with anything other than one of these.

Proof of address does not have to be hard copy meaning you dont have to have a piece of paper in your hand. they do accept it being shown in your phone so its up to you to see how good you are at some computer programs that help make changes to documents wink wink

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2