Like Tree27Likes

Reusable mugs / shops with discounts for BYO cups

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:
    Attachment 77275

Honestly, it weighs very little. I don't get why some guys like to carry their umbrella in one hand and phone in the other with no hands free. Just get a messenger/sling bag, some are quite thin and stylish.
    Pretty sure he’s just pulling your leg. With a plastic mitten.
    TheBrit and Fiona in HKG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:
    (In an ideal world) all drinks/coffee shops should only sell reusable aluminum mugs at a premium—so if you forget to bring your own, then too bad, you'll have to buy another mug (maybe even penalize repeated offenders). I mean, how hard is it for people to bring their own mug/container? Lots of people did not bring their own shopping bag before the 50¢ plastic bag levy. Similarly with restaurants, they should only use or sell glass/silicone containers for takeouts.

...but (to argue from both sides) that would kill a whole industry with a ton of job losses if all those plastic container/paper cup manufacturers weren't able to produce an endless stream of single-use trash.
    In Germany, in student canteens, for example, you get your coffee and you give an extra €1 coin for your mug. When you're finished, you bring your mug back to the cashier and they immediately hand you back a €1 coin. On the other hand, if you want to get a cup to take away, you can but you must explicitly ask for it and pay an extra charge (I forget how much, maybe only 10 cents in some places).

Germans also don't use tumble dryers for clothes, even though it's quite cold there and can take up to 2 days for clothes to dry on racks inside the home. Meanwhile, my family back in a hot state in the US always use a tumble dryer.

These excuses that it might hurt "other industries" is just a very poor argument. We just don't see the cost it for the environment and that cost is not worth the little convenience we get. Industries have a responsibility, too, to minimize their toll on the environment, and unfortunately they fail badly at this. There are so many useless products that have been created just because it's something cheap with a high mark-up, just look at what kind of stuff has been thrown away in the plastic recycling bins: strong smelling fabric "re-freshener" (wtf?!), fabric softener, cleaning products for all kinds of individual items in the home (when just vinegar works fine), ant killer things.

Anyway, same goes with take-away coffee cups, although I'll admit this has more of a useful function than some things out there... At least I'm grateful for the discounts.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes, I guess every student shared apartment will have a few mugs (and other canteen dishes). But I think the students are not brats (like, say, British students) and follow the system. They're not, after all, the most fashionable mugs! No deposits for anything else. I like it because you really can walk away with your coffee wherever and just return it when it's convenient. I assume the canteens get the mugs for the same amount or less, so it's not really a financial loss to them, just a system.

If you're interested, one uni canteen here said there is a rough loss of about 40% of the dishes that need to be replaced each year and that it was just one of the expenses of operating.
    @Fiona in HKG it's true that to be more "environmentally friendly" you have to change your ways of what you carry around. For me it's just been a habit for so long to carry a reusable water bottle that I've had bags big enough. As for coffee cups, there are a few good ones which I don't think are too heavy, like these bamboo ECoffee Cups:

https://www.plasticfreehk.com/collec...15511734550610

But I find they are a little brittle and break easily.

I am quite fond of my Keep Cup, though:
    https://livezero.hk/collections/coffee-cups

But man, I cannot for the life of me understand why these very expensive handbags are "fashionable"... and one more reason for their uselessness is that very few of them could fit a reusable water bottle!

In any case, why aren't we all sitting down to enjoy our coffee? Isn't that what's wrong with this -- why are we taking it away in the first place? Italians dont'!
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

I carry a slim rucksack - which contains my umbrella and (sometimes) my thermos. I too would never go anywhere without an umbrella. The concept of just buying an umbrella when it rains is about as un-environmentally friendly as it gets. My current umbrella is a high quality hiking umbrella which is very small and lightweight but really good in the wind. I lost a similar one at an event a few years back and went asking people if they had seen it, and got about as much help as if I'd been asking for a paper coffee mug. I guess now I know why. Crazy.