Like Tree27Likes

Reusable mugs / shops with discounts for BYO cups

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reusable mugs / shops with discounts for BYO cups

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Had a good cup of coffee from M&S this morning

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGnSXAcXkAEfwRL.jpg
    Why can't any shop serve coffee in reusable mugs?!

Mod note: moved from: https://geoexpat.com/forum/211/thread7929-119.html
    Last edited by Editor; 19-03-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    East_coast and drumbrake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Because disposableware is cheaper than washing up and very few governments are willing to tax disposableware

Starbucks and Pacific coffee do if you order a drink to stay. Must be a hot drink though, no Frappuchinos in proper mugs
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Starbucks and Pacific coffee do if you order a drink to stay. Must be a hot drink though, no Frappuchinos in proper mugs
    If you EXPLICITLY tell them to. It is not the default.
    @East_coast it's because people are stupid, that's why.

Starbucks give you a discount if you bring your own mug - $3 or $4 from memory.. maybe $5? I forget, I've been bringing coffee in to work for the past few months - using my disposable dolphin skin tumbler.

kidding - it's stainless steel.

TheBrit, JAherbert, spode and 1 others like this.

I went to a Starbucks in Central a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised to see them serve my cold drink in a glass!

$5 discount at Pret. Difference in price is really worth it (to me).

spode likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Starbucks give you a discount if you bring your own mug - $3 or $4 from memory.. maybe $5? I forget, I've been bringing coffee in to work for the past few months - using my disposable dolphin skin tumbler.

kidding - it's stainless steel.
    $4 off for BYO tumbler / mug... and you can save $3 by buying a short hot drink instead of a tall hot drink. Sometimes I just need a shot of that caffeinated stuff to get my system going.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Starbucks have regularly given me an iced tea in a ceramic mug. They don't have Venti size mugs unfortunately so when that happens it's back to plastic.
    mrgoodkat likes this.

(In an ideal world) all drinks/coffee shops should only sell reusable aluminum mugs at a premium—so if you forget to bring your own, then too bad, you'll have to buy another mug (maybe even penalize repeated offenders). I mean, how hard is it for people to bring their own mug/container? Lots of people did not bring their own shopping bag before the 50¢ plastic bag levy. Similarly with restaurants, they should only use or sell glass/silicone containers for takeouts.

...but (to argue from both sides) that would kill a whole industry with a ton of job losses if all those plastic container/paper cup manufacturers weren't able to produce an endless stream of single-use trash.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast