Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JAherbert
  • 1 Post By JAherbert
  • 1 Post By Anahan

Building tried to replace lift and then gave up

Closed Thread

Building tried to replace lift and then gave up

I live in a building with an elevator that is 35 years old. Mitsubishi has said that the elevator absolutely needs to be replaced (parts are no longer manufactured, etc.), and they're on site every two weeks to keep this thing on life support.

A few months ago, I got a letter from the building management asking for $30,000 from each owner to pay for a new lift. Fast forward to today, and only 12 owners have paid. The building has 22 floors of 3 flats each, so that's like <20%. The management has given up and is refunding everyone who paid, so the plan now is to wait until the lift completely breaks and the need for a new lift can no longer be ignored.

Lol.

Kowloon Goon likes this.

there is 50% funding for lift replacement, where is your building?

CLP and HKE will soon be launching another fund, so you might able to catch that, the downside BMO will have to pay REA to make the funding application, but still cheaper than paying for the whole cost yourself.

shri likes this.

secretly BMO loves those owners, they are typically paid % of expenses, as you have incurred more expenses, used more power, the BMO has earnt more lol

Last edited by JAherbert; 04-05-2019 at 04:39 PM.
    shri likes this.

Thanks for the advice! I know the management company was trying to get some type of government funding, but don't know the details.

The building is in Yau Ma Tei.

dundas street?

My home had the same problem, people were being trapped in the lifts, sometimes multiple times in a day. I've walked up to the top floor too many times, the disabled couldn't leave or return home. We now have new ones.

My home had the same problem, people were being trapped in the lifts, sometimes multiple times in a day. I've walked up to the top floor too many times, the disabled couldn't leave or return home. We now have new ones. The lifts would fall. They were the old ones that had two doors that opened outwards so there was a risk that anyone standing outside the lifts would fall down the stairs.