Like Tree8Likes

Mainland demand for fetus sex tests drives blood export to HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by henkka:
    So, excuse my ignorance. But, are you not allowed to determine the sex is in most countries? TV shows I seen parents often know the gender prior to birth and my impression of parents in europe and in hk(and in tw where i currently live my sister in law just had a daughter and knew the sex prior to birth) is that some know and some dont.

To the best of my knowledge there is no gender imbalance in taiwan or hk, so this seems to be a chinese thing.

If chinese abuse this information, why not just block it from chinese and allow if for the rest ? Seems a bit blunt to ban it outright as it does not seem to be an issue in hk to do sex selective abortions.
    No gender imbalance in Taiwan or hk? Really?

Huge gender imbalance in HK but it's in favor of girls. So I guess HK is not aborting females:

https://www.chinadailyhk.com/article...687567608.html

Quote Originally Posted by henkka:
    So, excuse my ignorance. But, are you not allowed to determine the sex is in most countries? TV shows I seen parents often know the gender prior to birth and my impression of parents in europe and in hk(and in tw where i currently live my sister in law just had a daughter and knew the sex prior to birth) is that some know and some dont.

To the best of my knowledge there is no gender imbalance in taiwan or hk, so this seems to be a chinese thing.

If chinese abuse this information, why not just block it from chinese and allow if for the rest ? Seems a bit blunt to ban it outright as it does not seem to be an issue in hk to do sex selective abortions.
    Most people get their baby’s sex determined from an ultrasound scan. Earliest can be seen at 16 weeks but closer to 20 is more accurate. A termination at that stage of pregnancy is a serious matter and invasive.

The blood test being discussed here is done at 10 weeks, termination at that stage can be done medically via pill. So it’s easier to terminate that early.

The reason for excluding the sex result from the genetic screening would be to reduce the number of sex selective terminations as very few people would go through with it at 20+ weeks solely due to baby being a girl.
    hullexile likes this.