Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree63Likes

If you can’t beat them join them? Chinese travel etiquette.

I never understood this. I always prefer to stand. HK MTR seats are literally the most uncomfortable seats of any train I've ever been on. Rock hard, shapeless, metal. My ass gets sore after a couple of minutes on those. I always prefer to stand. It's more comfortable.

Literally every other country's metro I've been on (Seoul, osaka, Taipei, Bangkok) has better, more comfortable seating.

jack55 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Places like Japan can get a lot more people per square inch in a much more civilised fashion with a lot less train rage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6WLiwQE94E
    Pauljoecoe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Take a green minibus if you are lucky enough to have one serving your commute area. Everyone gets a seat, as frequent as trains, as fast as a taxi, you get something to look at out the window during your commute, or a bit of an extra nap, no pushing and shoving. The only odd bit of excitement is when some old lady or mainlander doesn't want to join the back of the queue.
    Taking green minibus is worse than taking the MTR - once all seats have been occupied you can't board it. Sometimes you can see 10 or more minibuses passing through your stop completely full before you can get on one.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsang
    Taking green minibus is worse than taking the MTR - once all seats have been occupied you can't board it. Sometimes you can see 10 or more minibuses passing through your stop completely full before you can get on one.
    Less safe too. Chances of an accident are very low but it's rarely a month goes by without seeing a smashed up minibus in the papers.
    jdf21st likes this.

I was once flamed for daring to get peed off at the people standing on the ‘wrong side’ of the escalator. I’ve learned my lesson. The trick is a massive MGOY about 4 steps back giving you the freedom to push past if they ignore you. I like Katherine’s MTR tactic though. I’d never seen more than one as a realistic target when leaving the train. 3 is a stretch. 4 would be magnificent.

I love the minibuses but the problem as I see it is for the green ones the wages are so low that you end up with drivers way past their sell by date. For the red ones time is money for them so my seat belt is always on!

The general standard of driving, minibus or other, is awful. Zebra crossing pointless, indicators optional and spatial awareness seemingly non existent. I’ve never researched it but I’m guessing a driving test is easy here?

jdf21st likes this.

Just spent three nights at the Chengdu Renaissance. The lifts are pretty small and at the lobby level the guests push themselves in before anyone had exited. It isn’t like it was crowded or anything. I guess these people are so used to this behaviour they can’t help it. Rudeness is just muscle memory. Young or old, men or women they all do this.

jdf21st likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine
    Just spent three nights at the Chengdu Renaissance. The lifts are pretty small and at the lobby level the guests push themselves in before anyone had exited. It isn’t like it was crowded or anything. I guess these people are so used to this behaviour they can’t help it. Rudeness is just muscle memory. Young or old, men or women they all do this.
    LOL. Yes it's the culture in China. So many people will not line up and cut in front of you, you just have to rush in or else you'll never get anywhere. Plus there's not much of personal space. Bumping into or brushing up against people is normal for them. Give it another 20 years it'll be fine.
    jdf21st likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland
    I was once flamed for daring to get peed off at the people standing on the ‘wrong side’ of the escalator. I’ve learned my lesson. The trick is a massive MGOY about 4 steps back giving you the freedom to push past if they ignore you. I like Katherine’s MTR tactic though. I’d never seen more than one as a realistic target when leaving the train. 3 is a stretch. 4 would be magnificent.

I love the minibuses but the problem as I see it is for the green ones the wages are so low that you end up with drivers way past their sell by date. For the red ones time is money for them so my seat belt is always on!

The general standard of driving, minibus or other, is awful. Zebra crossing pointless, indicators optional and spatial awareness seemingly non existent. I’ve never researched it but I’m guessing a driving test is easy here?
    I suggest no longer saying MGOY in Cantonese and rather go directly for the mandarin equivalent. One things that really peeves me though is people who stand in the MIDDLE of the escalator.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsang
    They could print more GMB and RMB licences and have a more open bidding system to operate routes. That would go a long way to improving the service. But that is not the important thing the license owners loyalty for voting the right way in LegCo must be rewarded

https://www.scmp.com/business/money/...kong-tycoon-ma

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4