Like Tree63Likes

If you can’t beat them join them? Chinese travel etiquette.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

If you can’t beat them join them? Chinese travel etiquette.

I regularly change trains from the purple to the green line at Tiu Keng Leng, the start of the green line at that end.

Locals seem to insist on running as fast as possible from one train to the other to get the ‘best’ seat. Now I travel a long way on that train so I also like to get a seat, and preferably one at the end of a row, but I wouldn’t normally go to any particular effort to.

However, more and more others do seem to go to extremes. Stand nose to the door of the previous train to get the best exit (even if I happens to be in their way), run across platforms with no consideration for anyone else. if the departing train hasn’t arrived yet stand with nose almost touching the central opening part of the platform doors, (in this instance today pushing against me when I was already standing on the correct entry arrow), and then of course the fight to get the seat of choice when the empty train arrives.

So should I just join in the local culture?

P.s. generally it seems to be older locals who do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    So should I just join in the local culture? .
    When in ROME fella join the local culture them oldies dont give two fecks about anyone else.
    JAherbert, it_guy and jdf21st like this.

Absolutely. You only live once. Don't miss out on such an opportunity.

Don't dream of it - you can't beat them.

The other day when I boarded an empty train at Tsuen Wan and tried to sit down, an old guy used his umbrella to hit my leg and got the seat.
    JAherbert, jdf21st and sydsam like this.

I regularly change trains from the purple to the green line at Tiu Keng Leng, the start of the green line at that end.

Locals seem to insist on running as fast as possible from one train to the other to get the ‘best’ seat. Now I travel a long way on that train so I also like to get a seat, and preferably one at the end of a row, but I wouldn’t normally go to any particular effort to.

However, more and more others do seem to go to extremes. Stand nose to the door of the previous train to get the best exit (even if I happens to be in their way), run across platforms with no consideration for anyone else. if the departing train hasn’t arrived yet stand with nose almost touching the central opening part of the platform doors, (in this instance today pushing against me when I was already standing on the correct entry arrow), and then of course the fight to get the seat of choice when the empty train arrives.

Baby strollers are really good weapons, you can take out quite a few ankles then block the seat with the stroller.

Quote Originally Posted by james_hklocal:

The other day when I boarded an empty train at Tsuen Wan and tried to sit down, an old guy used his umbrella to hit my leg and got the seat.
    You grab the umbrella and pull him away from the seat. Trust me, he won't let go.
    jdf21st and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by james_hklocal:

You can if you are ruder, it's very easy, you grab them by the collar and yank them out all with a smile. I do it with guys on occasion but old ladies, I let them be unless I can just do a good body block.

Personally, I don't qualify this as being like a local, the vast majority are fairly polite but when you have throngs of people, you are guaranteed to have a very visible minority being annoying. Just like the phone thing, if there's a dozen people walking, you'll get one or two zonking out on their phone, it's not the majority but it is virtually guaranteed to happen and immensely annoying. So rude people can be treated the same way they treat others.

I will body-check old women, but ONLY if I'm standing just inside the door trying to leave, and they charge me head-on regardless.

Get yourself a fake pregnant stomach and you can just valse in there and someone will offer you their seat.

https://www.itv.com/news/2013-02-28/...eijing-subway/

chuckster007 likes this.

buy a car

shri and jdf21st like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast