Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 1 Post By shri

HK Airport and Noise impacts

Closed Thread

HK Airport and Noise impacts

For last few days, wind is flowing from West and hence all flights are taking off from East into West at HK airport.

We have 2 runways - North and South. South Runway is too near to Apartments. It is causing super noise specially after 9 pm.

Can anyone help me understand why North runway is not use which is considerably far and causing less noise problem for residents.

2. The HKIA has 2 parallel runways (commonly called the North Runway and the South Runway) which run northeast to southwest. At present, the two runways are normally operated in a segregated mode, i.e. the South Runway dedicated for departures and the North Runway for arrivals (with the exception of cargo flights and the Government Flying Service’s aircraft which for operational reasons will normally use the South Runway for landing). However, there are circumstances where the airport may be operated with a single runway, for example, in the event of runway blockage or during scheduled maintenance periods at night.
    3. The direction from which aircraft land at HKIA mainly depends upon the wind direction. For safety and operational reasons, aircraft generally land into the wind. When the wind is from the west or southwest (which is prevailing in summer), aircraft will approach HKIA from the northeast overflying Tseung Kwan O, Sai Kung, Ma On Shan, Shatin and Tsuen Wan (including Sham Tseng and Tsing Lung Tau). When the wind is from the east or northeast (which is prevailing in winter), aircraft will approach HKIA from the southwest (over water).
    For some reason I had this bookmarked.

https://www.cad.gov.hk/english/ac_path.html
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    For some reason I had this bookmarked.

https://www.cad.gov.hk/english/ac_path.html
    I know this. I mailed HkIA in past and got this reply but there is no logical reply why south runway is used for take off considering noise pollution is too high while taking off from east side to west.

Quote Originally Posted by PKS_2000:
    Can anyone help me understand why North runway is not use which is considerably far and causing less noise problem for residents.
    All of the cargo, business and government traffic is located next to the south runway, so logically that is the default for take off.

A plane landing stills makes plenty of noise on approach to the south runway, so I am not sure what you want to achieve.

Did you move into the area before the airport was built? If so, I have sympathy that your quiet island was disturbed. Otherwise, if you chose to live next to an airport, you can't really complain about the noise.