Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7
Like Tree51Likes

'Wild' camping

Honestly, well done helping people out Katherine. However, I still think your comments were phrased in a patronising way. Maybe you've told the tale so often at dinner parties which makes it hard to see how "rescuing little HK ladies" sounds to non-expats. Yeah I've got a chip on my shoulder, maybe I'm a 5'1 local woman, but it's an off colour remark nonetheless. Of course I don't expect you or many others on this site to understand that, but I hope you will try.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Sai Kung park is only about 10km across. From a lot of it of it you can see foothpaths, boats, jettys or residential developements, so I it's not what I'd personally call wilderness. Though by now it's clear that "wilderness" means different things to different people.

It is one of my preferred hiking locations here though- the area north of Tai Long Wan/Sharp Peak can be very pretty in clear weather, and because a lot of that terrain has been cleared recently it's either very short shrub or just grass, so you can see the extensive trail network across it from the top of Sharp Peak. You can also boat across to Grass Island for lunch. Best done in cooler weather though, as there's no shade in this entire area.

Let’s agree to disagree on this point because I think what we’re both saying in a way is we will try to get as wild as we can.

I still love killing the perception of Hong Kong that visitors have before they actually visit the place.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by monomono
    Honestly, well done helping people out Katherine. However, I still think your comments were phrased in a patronising way. Maybe you've told the tale so often at dinner parties which makes it hard to see how "rescuing little HK ladies" sounds to non-expats. Yeah I've got a chip on my shoulder, maybe I'm a 5'1 local woman, but it's an off colour remark nonetheless. Of course I don't expect you or many others on this site to understand that, but I hope you will try.
    The adjective little seems pertinent, not pejorative. If they were big, heavy ladies I doubt Katherine could have helped them. In fact she even implied so - her husband helped the firemen who - on average - you'd expect to be bigger, heavier and hard to help than a little HK lady.
    monomono and HK_Katherine like this.

@jgl infrastructure and human impact aside, in terms of biodiversity, Hong Kong is unique (especially for a city), and as we face extinction of biodiversity, like insects, I think it's a ll the more pressing to embrace the patches, however small, of wilderness that we have. For example, of all the butterfly species in China, Hong Kong has a quarter. In an ecological sense as far as I understand, they are very important to the world. I believe there are a few hillsides that are wholly untouched (north face of Lin Fa Shan). I also like the idea of reintroducing large predators and think we irrationally prioritize our own sense of human safety in a way we'll one day regret when so many species are wiped out forever. But it's just a fun fantasy... Sigh.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7