Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

'Wild' camping

'Wild' camping

I know that camping outside of designated camp sites in HK isnt strictly legal, but does anyone know how rigorously enforced this is? Im sure I could easily find some well hidden spots, but if I were to set up camp on a relatively public beach (such as South Bay or Turtle Bay on Lamma) how likely is it that some jobsworth would move me on in the middle of the night?

Looking for somewhere I can rest, read, meditate etc through the night without being disturbed and fancy a decent beach rather than hiding myself away deep in the forest.

Higher chances of being moved from public beach, nearby residents/shop owners might even complain as they don't want Mainlanders to occupy beaches with tents and save on hotel cost (Common problem in some campsites near beach)..

If you dont mind hiking a bit, try this one.. IIRC nearby shop owner rents tent as well..

Camping Tai Long Wan - New Kid on the Wok

If you want to go easy, try Pui O campsite (Lantau Island), generally packed during weekend but you can always find a spot at the end of campsite near beach..

Cornmeal, spode and monomono like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSapSap
    I know that camping outside of designated camp sites in HK isnt strictly legal, but does anyone know how rigorously enforced this is? Im sure I could easily find some well hidden spots, but if I were to set up camp on a relatively public beach (such as South Bay or Turtle Bay on Lamma) how likely is it that some jobsworth would move me on in the middle of the night?

Looking for somewhere I can rest, read, meditate etc through the night without being disturbed and fancy a decent beach rather than hiding myself away deep in the forest.
    you could live like a hermit in remote islands such as tap mun, kato/crooked island, tung ping chau and po toi for years and no one would care at all.
    Elegiaque and irisboards like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSapSap
    Turtle Bay on Lamma
    err, no.

If you camp on Sham Wan on Lamma during the nesting season (June to October), I hope the 'jobsworth' does a lot more than move you on - the fine is HKD50,000.

https://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/cons...a_con_the.html

emx, spode and Morrison like this.

Beaches on the nature trail in Peng Chau are deserted all year long. There is a public restroom with shower near the ferry pier.

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    If you dont mind hiking a bit, try this one.. IIRC nearby shop owner rents tent as well..

Camping Tai Long Wan - New Kid on the Wok
    I love this place. The continual roar of the waves obliterates the crap from one's mind. Could happily spend a few weeks there, but firewood and water are a problem.

'Wild' camping

Ham Tin. Surely no one is even going to know you have camped out. Paradise on earth (well for me the best beach in HK) and close enough (10 min walk) for supplies and beers

Ham Tin had an official campsite on it.

People often get confused between Ham Tim - smaller, official campsite, restaurants, bridge - and Tai Long Wan - bigger, no facilities. Hope I'm not confused too

There's also Tung Wan a little further on, that's really remote but nothing special.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast