Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Domestic Helper Getting a Library Card/Using their HKID as their Library Card

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    Lol, just scan it, use Photoshop to change your name to helper's, print out again. Nobody actually cares.
    I agree that "probably" nobody would care but it would also be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    it would also be illegal.
    I've actually always wondered that. If the address is the correct one there can't have been any deception.

The transport department will send you a letter to your address if you don't have an address proof, which you then have to bring back to complete the application procedures. (That's how Mainland Chinese exchange their drivers licenses while staying in HK as a tourist). Maybe the library will do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    Maybe the library will do that too.
    Contacting the library and asking might be the easiest way to do it.

The most legal way, but not necessarily the simplest if for a helper to have a Hong Kong bank account. It seems that Hang Seng offers a special ATM savings account for only 500HKD to open, but then no minimum balance. Bank of China has a similar offering. And the latest news is HSBC has entered this game apparently starting August 1st, 2019 they'll eliminate minimum balance fees and make some over the counter services free as well - https://www.hsbc.com.hk/accounts/rem...-balance-fees/

Here is a link about BOC and Hang Seng, but you'd have to double check with actual bank representatives to confirm - What is the best bank account for domestic helpers?

Are you sure this is a real problem? You don't even need to be resident in Hong Kong to get a library card. Are there FDH's genuinely trying to use the public library system and failing due to proof of address?

Quote Originally Posted by loganhair
    The most legal way, but not necessarily the simplest if for a helper to have a Hong Kong bank account.
    The most legal way and easiest way was given post #5

My helper got a library card she used her work contract who show my address and I gave her my proof of address.

Quote Originally Posted by Beuze
    The most legal way and easiest way was given post #5
    I gave my helper her original contract, and the staff at the Tsuen Wan library said she needed a copy of her employer's HKID and they also gave her the guarantor form. So no a contract with just their HKID and passport isn't enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2