Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Urgent advice needed: impact of criminal conviction in HK on my work visa and permanent residence

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    94

    Have a chat with Stephen Barnes of Visageeza. He may be able to offer good advice on your immigration related queries.

    Suisen likes this.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,022

    what was the first substance 0.4gm heroin cocaine mdma or THC
    what was the second substance Was it a Part 1 poison without prescription
    stop and search or you were dobbed in
    did you give a cautioned statement - did you confess and provide detals where you bought it and if so did you sign the statement
    did you admit to being an addicted person
    did they ask you if you intended to sell the items and you denied that
    In the 'old days' many drug offenders here would confess to a crime offence (loitering etc 3 months) to get the crime detection stats up instead of possession of DD because the courts tend to sentence Poss of DD to DATC which was 9 months
    Time in jail does not count towards normal residence

    Coolboy likes this.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamco
    what was the first substance 0.4gm heroin cocaine mdma or THC
    what was the second substance Was it a Part 1 poison without prescription
    stop and search or you were dobbed in
    did you give a cautioned statement - did you confess and provide detals where you bought it and if so did you sign the statement
    did you admit to being an addicted person
    did they ask you if you intended to sell the items and you denied that
    In the 'old days' many drug offenders here would confess to a crime offence (loitering etc 3 months) to get the crime detection stats up instead of possession of DD because the courts tend to sentence Poss of DD to DATC which was 9 months
    Time in jail does not count towards normal residence
    Wow. Did punctuation touch you in the bad place?

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by Suisen
    Hi, I have been living and working in HK since the last five years. My GEP got renewed until 2022 recently. This week, the HK police detained me with illegal substances in my bag. I said the substances are mine for personal consumption.

    They are planning to charge me with possession of dangerous drugs and for a more minor substance that is not a dangerous drug but is by prescription only, which I did not have.

    I want to know what effect a criminal conviction for drug possession would have on my current work permit.

    I plan to apply for permanent residence after 2022, would I get it? I'm hoping that I secure a bind over as I'm highly educated, law abiding, pay my taxes and have no criminal record. This is my first offence.

    Also, does anyone have any idea if cases such as mine can get a bind over? The amount of illegal substances was 0.4 g.

    I really don't want to be convicted as that would severely curb passage to other countries and I need to travel for work. If there are any suggestions on how I should navigate this precarious situation, they are welcome.

    Thank you for your help.
    What kind of illegal substance were you found with exactly? What it is may also impact the severity of the sentence (if it comes to that). Is it marijuna? Or cocaine, "ice" or heroin?

  5. #35

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by juanalias
    Wow. Did punctuation touch you in the bad place?
    I never met Punctuation and she did not touch me down there
    WTF is your problem?
    TheBrit and snjt like this.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Kowloon
    Posts
    61

    Who remembers the Chinese dude who set fire to the Immigration office in a protest about Permanent Residency, killing an Immigration officer, went to prison and STILL got his PR when he was released?

    Just mentioning it because a massive conviction didn't hurt his PR application (and he set the office on fire!)


  7. #37

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Kowloon
    Posts
    61

    Duplicate post

    Last edited by PointingFinger; 28-06-2019 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Duplicate

  8. #38

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,022

    Two salient words matter
    is the OP in this case a Mainland Chinese?

    https://badcanto.wordpress.com/2013/...ong-residency/

    PointingFinger likes this.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,552
    Quote Originally Posted by PointingFinger
    Who remembers the Chinese dude who set fire to the Immigration office in a protest about Permanent Residency, killing an Immigration officer, went to prison and STILL got his PR when he was released?

    Just mentioning it because a massive conviction didn't hurt his PR application (and he set the office on fire!)
    Edit: I checked and it turns out I had that mixed up. He got deported after his release and then came back with a one-way permit and resided in HK for 7 years to become PR. Afaik there is no mechanism for HK government to refuse admission of one-way permit holders.
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 28-06-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    PointingFinger likes this.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamco
    I never met Punctuation and she did not touch me down there
    WTF is your problem?
    If you can't see the mayhem you are visiting on our shared language, I don't think we need speak more.

Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast