Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kimwy66
  • 1 Post By mrgoodkat

How to register a divorce from abroad in HK?

How to register a divorce from abroad in HK?

Hello everyone!

I'm a Norwegian citizen who got married in Hong Kong many years ago. I registered the marriage with the Norwegian authorities and I have since gotten a divorce through the Norwegian authorities as well.

My question is, how do I register my divorce done in Norway with the authorities in Hong Kong? I've read that Hong Kong indeed recognizes divorces done abroad, but I can't find any info on how to register my divorce in HK. I have emailed the HK Family Court Registry multiple times but been told that they cannot help with the matter.
    Does anyone know? Is it even possible or necessary to register a divorce done abroad?

This is so I am 100% free to marry again in the future, with no "still registered as married in Hong Kong" hanging over me and potentially keeping me from getting married.

I'm grateful for any help!

Lisa xx

you can try contacting the records office:

https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/contactus/marriage.html

Lisalee33 likes this.

You don't have to register your overseas marriage or your divorce in HK. If you want to get married again in HK just provide your divorce certificate.

chuckster007 likes this.

Thank you! I will contact the records office and see what they say

Lisa xx

"This is so I am 100% free to marry again in the future, with no "still registered as married in Hong Kong" hanging over me and potentially keeping me from getting married."

read Einstein's definition of insanity