Like Tree4Likes

Complaint against Office of Licensing Authority - Home Affairs Department

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Complaint against Office of Licensing Authority - Home Affairs Department

We have received another official visit, this time from the Office of the Licensing Authority Home Affairs Department investigating a complaint that we have been operating an unlicensed guest house out of our home (which we have been living in as owner-occupiers for 14+ years). The government officials refused to identify the complainant or let me take photos of their name badges.

We're getting a bit sick of it.

I've written a stroppy e-mail to the Licensing Authority.

Any other ideas how to escalate this? I assume that providing false information to a government department is an offence but can't find the relevant provision in the Hotel and Guesthouse Accommodation Ordinance.

Have you been using air bnb to rent out your place? I know they have been checking listings recently and knocking on doors

Original Post Deleted
    I've done that and am eagerly awaiting the usual governmental obfuscation.

Quote Originally Posted by SannyJ:
    Have you been using air bnb to rent out your place? I know they have been checking listings recently and knocking on doors
    No - as mentioned, we've been owner-occupiers for over 14 years now so there's no way it could be from searching listings on AirBnB or elsewhere.

They specifically said they had received a complaint.

Original Post Deleted
    That, sir, is pure evil. I like it.

As far as we're aware, we're on good terms with all the neighbours we know and haven't annoyed anyone.

Make a complaint using the 1823 app. Usually they figure out where to transfer the complaint.

But just don't entertain them, don't open the door. Tell them to fuck off. It's your property.

did your neighbour list on Airbnb and they just check everyone on the floor?

Original Post Deleted
    All you need is a swipe card to get in and out without your name being taken down. If anyone is running an AirBnB, they'd provide a swipe card registered to the apartment in question.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    did your neighbour list on Airbnb and they just check everyone on the floor?
    No to the first - as far as I can tell there are no apartments in our estate listed on Airbnb.

As to the second, no idea.

The government officials refused to identify the complainant or let me take photos of their name badges.
    The whole badge / warrant card thing - an immigration team that visited our office told me that they're not allowed to let anyone take photos of their badges because they might be copied and abused. The team leader was quite happy to give me a business card with a number to call to verify that they were immigration officers.

If it was the licensing authority, call the chief officer listed here:

https://tel.directory.gov.hk/0253000271_ENG.html

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast