Like Tree4Likes

Complaint against Office of Licensing Authority - Home Affairs Department

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Complaint against Office of Licensing Authority - Home Affairs Department

We have received another official visit, this time from the Office of the Licensing Authority Home Affairs Department investigating a complaint that we have been operating an unlicensed guest house out of our home (which we have been living in as owner-occupiers for 14+ years). The government officials refused to identify the complainant or let me take photos of their name badges.

We're getting a bit sick of it.

I've written a stroppy e-mail to the Licensing Authority.

Any other ideas how to escalate this? I assume that providing false information to a government department is an offence but can't find the relevant provision in the Hotel and Guesthouse Accommodation Ordinance.

Have you been using air bnb to rent out your place? I know they have been checking listings recently and knocking on doors

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    We have received another official visit, this time from the Office of the Licensing Authority Home Affairs Department investigating a complaint that we have been operating an unlicensed guest house out of our home (which we have been living in as owner-occupiers for 14+ years). The government officials refused to identify the complainant or let me take photos of their name badges.

We're getting a bit sick of it.

I've written a stroppy e-mail to the Licensing Authority.

Any other ideas how to escalate this? I assume that providing false information to a government department is an offence but can't find the relevant provision in the Hotel and Guesthouse Accommodation Ordinance.
    You could write to them and declare you're not running an AirBNB. I very much doubt that they'll reveal why they are investigating, and I also doubt that it's a breach of a law to tip them off.

FWIW I have reported actual straight out commercial unlicensed guesthouses to them with copious evidence and they wrote back saying they could find no evidence. The quality of their work seems quite lacking as I gave everything to them on a plate.
    MandM! and muzzdang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    You could write to them and declare you're not running an AirBNB. I very much doubt that they'll reveal why they are investigating, and I also doubt that it's a breach of a law to tip them off.
    I've done that and am eagerly awaiting the usual governmental obfuscation.

Quote Originally Posted by SannyJ
    Have you been using air bnb to rent out your place? I know they have been checking listings recently and knocking on doors
    No - as mentioned, we've been owner-occupiers for over 14 years now so there's no way it could be from searching listings on AirBnB or elsewhere.

They specifically said they had received a complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    No - as mentioned, we've been owner-occupiers for over 14 years now so there's no way it could be from searching listings on AirBnB or elsewhere.

They specifically said they had received a complaint.
    If you really piss someone off, little to stop them listing your apartment on AirBNB.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    If you really piss someone off, little to stop them listing your apartment on AirBNB.
    That, sir, is pure evil. I like it.

As far as we're aware, we're on good terms with all the neighbours we know and haven't annoyed anyone.

@traineeinvestor, in my building, we have security guards that are supposed to take down details of visitors from outside the estate. In my case the Kai Shing folks are pretty good, they refused entry to our pet sitter after we failed to notify them that she would be coming while we were away on holiday. Surely your management office won't find trace of people checking in your apartment other than you ?

Make a complaint using the 1823 app. Usually they figure out where to transfer the complaint.

But just don't entertain them, don't open the door. Tell them to fuck off. It's your property.

HK Ombudsman??

Lodge a malfeasance complaint !!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast