Like Tree2Likes

Accepting a job in Shanghai / leaving Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Accepting a job in Shanghai / leaving Hong Kong

Hi guys,
    Would appreciate some advice here, I did a search and all I found were English teaching jobs hk v shanghai so here we go with my question.

If I'm already in a regional role in hk, if I were to accept a role in shanghai, firstly how much would I need to be expecting and has anyone made this move before and how was your experience working in China as compared to hk?

I do work in the HR field, I have heard of people being offered double their hk salary to compensate for the higher tax in China and still turning the role down so I'm quite wary of this anecdotal case. Also I know some stuff about the 5 insurances that you need to pay to local government, can anyone advise if as an expat I'd have to pay this in full? As I heard rules had been changed recently. Thanks again all

Need an idea of your current salary to compare. It is different if you are making 1million HKD vs 200k HKD (and being offered the equivalent in Shanghai).

Do you speak Chinese? Are you used to China? I find China a very hard place - even for a short visit you really get frustrated with the lack of internet, news, Facebook, just normal stuff I take for granted. I had a local friend who moved to Shanghai for a while and she hated it. She hated the Mainlanders; she missed her dog (she did not take it with her for fear of it getting eaten! ok a bit bizaare I agree).

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I had a local friend who moved to Shanghai for a while and she hated it. She hated the Mainlanders
    Local HKer that hates Mainlanders. Shocking.

I've never lived in Shanghai but I've been there several times for work and holidays. If i had to move to China, I would choose Shanghai. It has a large foreign community, the lifestyle has more international influence, and it has a number of clean modern districts as well as those trendy, hipster type areas.

Obviously you still get certain restrictions due to it being China, but there are ways around the great firewall. And as long as you don't do anything politically, then its certainly fine to have a nice life there with the right salary. I would say you can have a similar salary as HK and have a better living standard as things are still cheaper there. But some people want to be compensated for the stress of living in China so you need to decide how much this is worth to you.

I wouldn't choose to live there forever, but I think 2 or 3 years would be a good experience.

SonicYouth1 likes this.

no Google, Facebook or Whatsapp?

is Netflix available there?

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    no Google, Facebook or Whatsapp?

is Netflix available there?
    VPN is the answer

Quote Originally Posted by aceofangel:
    Need an idea of your current salary to compare. It is different if you are making 1million HKD vs 200k HKD (and being offered the equivalent in Shanghai).
    Just as a rough idea its a lot closer to 1m than 200k. I can get by on some mandarin, although I can't read or write. The role only needs native English

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    I wouldn't choose to live there forever, but I think 2 or 3 years would be a good experience.
    There is no forever in China - no permanent residency no matter how long you work there.
    Even if you marry, you have to go to the public security bureau every year to get a "visit family" visa.

If you have a dispute with your employer, you could very easy be prevented from leaving China until it's resolved. There is some good value on housing in Shanghai but traffic is chaotic, things are still a bit dodgy. I'd be very questionable on healthcare too. I don't think I'd do it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast