Like Tree17Likes

Police charges

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Police charges

Hi
    Does anyone know how the police functions here ?
    How does one know whether they are on a watch list or if there are charges pressed against them ?
    Do the police always send a letter to tell you there is a file on you and they will arrest you ?Could the police be keeping quiet until they can catch you at the airport or at home and arrest you without any warning ?
    Is anyone allowed to have access to any possible existing file ?
    Thank you for answering if you know the answer(s)

What did you do???

Regardless of what you've done, if you feel you've committed a crime, I'd have a discrete consult with a lawyer about what the ramifications / penalties of that crime are and how best to prepare yourself and mitigate any harm.

Would not do anything to provoke any speculation on social media / online forums.

General Reading Material:

http://www.clic.org.hk/en/topics/policeAndCrime/

MandM! likes this.

If you get detained, don't say anything until you have spoken to a lawyer.

Review the local law on stop and search and how long the Police can hold you for questioning without formally charging you.

If you haven't done anything and just want to know, you can apply for a Certificate of no criminal conviction. I believe you have to visit HQ in person.

https://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/11_..._no_crime.html

Hi MandM
    it is a bit complicated
    i did not do anything.
    We got robbed and the robbers found a safe in my son’s room. They took it and opened it and left everything in the forest.
    The police searched and found it.
    This idiot had cannabis in it that he was keeping for a friend of his while abroad. !? My son is 22 and studying abroad.
    The police called me to take my fingerprints and told me about it. They asked when my son was coming back to hk. But also, they said they were not pressing charges. I wonder why. And if I should believe them.
    Meanwhile my son is afraid to come back to hk.

Not my area of expertise, but if the police were planing on arresting you, I very much doubt if they would give you advance notice in case you fled the jurisdiction (summonses for less serious offences excepted).

I'm pretty sure that the police would not give just anybody access to whatever file they have on you. The Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance and common sense would both suggest that they would keep it confidential and only use it to the extent necessary to discharge their duties as one of HK's law enforcement authorities. For example, there is a list of wanted persons here: https://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/06_...ted/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cbabette:
    Hi MandM
    it is a bit complicated
    i did not do anything.
    We got robbed and the robbers found a safe in my son’s room. They took it and opened it and left everything in the forest.
    This idiot had cannabis in it that he was keeping for a friend of his while abroad. !? My son is 22 and studying abroad.
    The police called me to take my fingerprints and told me about it. They asked when my son was coming back to hk. But also, they said they were not pressing charges. I wonder why. And if I should believe them.
    My previous post was made before seeing this.

Possibly they want to speak with your son about the friend he was holding the drugs for? It may also depend on the quantity of drugs found. I'd suggest speaking with a lawyer before your son returns to HK.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbabette:
    Hi MandM
    it is a bit complicated
    i did not do anything.
    If the safe was open how could the police prove the cannabis was your son's?

Oh ! So they do lie when they say they will not charge ! Even for jaywalking !!
    we did not get a summons. Does that mean there is no charge pressed or file opened ?

also, the wanted list. I looked. It’s for murderers !!!! And with rewards.
    Any similar list for minor offences ?

MandM! likes this.

Yes. Fingerprints or even DNA. they said they were looking at the DNA on some objects the robbers have touched. So if they can do it for robbers, they can do it for my son.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast