Like Tree45Likes

Logic Check

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My father, non-local boy from Tacoma, Washington, went with my local NYC mother in the subway and held the door open at some entrance, waiting for someone else to take it from him. My mother had kept walking and saw he wasn't with her, ran back to find him, still holding the door. She told him to just let it go. He said it will hit someone, she said just LET IT GO...his natural good manners did not work in NYC. He finally let go, no one got smashed in the face (probably no one said thank you either). In some busy situations (subway at rush hour) it's a little more "every man for himself..." And this was back in the 1950's when, arguably, even NYC was more polite...

Morrison, jgl and Coolboy like this.

This is my 3rd biggest gripe about Hong Kong local behavior after the 'phone zombie walkers' and 'smash the close door button on the lifts'.

Thematically it's just complete apathy and slight hostility towards strangers.

RMDNC, nuageklow, jack55 and 1 others like this.

In the past, I did say thank you or you are welcome, including in Cantonese, to elicit a response. Of course, there was never a response. Nowadays, I just try to follow the "norm" and when I do make a mistake as its still ingranined in me to excercise some courtesy, I might say thank you and when there is no response I might say well (rhymes with duck) you then. Of course I mumble it but maybe one day will broadcast it and if called out would responed I thought you were deaf or didnt understand English as you didnt hear me earlier.

Anyway, you folks are right, its become a waste of time. I post on this because its happened to me 3 times this morning.

Last edited by RMDNC; 08-08-2019 at 02:35 PM.

This is nothing compared to the ppl who walk in front of you, then slow down and wait for you to open the door. The same phenomenon can be observed in lifts, whoever presses the button loses. It happens every day at Citygate, and probably numerous other locations

jack55 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Anyway, you folks are right, its become a waste of time. I post on this because its happened to me 3 times this morning.
    Dont let these little things get to ya, it will drive you BONKERS , you keep doing what you do, dont let it change you, plenty of locals are polite and plenty that have no manners.

I love watching mobile zombies crashing into doors or getting squashe between two doors because they could be arsed to push it open and trying to squeeze through before the doors close LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    This is nothing compared to the ppl who walk in front of you, then slow down and wait for you to open the door. The same phenomenon can be observed in lifts, whoever presses the button loses. It happens every day at Citygate, and probably numerous other locations
    You've got to be kidding? That's so slimy for lack of a better way to characterize the action or should I say non-action.

How I feel about the Hongkers is how the Hongkers feel about Mainlanders. I am sure I am a crass person to the Swedes. No biggie.

jgl, Jaz Paul and tf19 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:

I've adapted and unfortunately only excercise courtesy toward the elderly and handicapped.
    You can count me in
    Pushing and rushing off past you (from behind) blocking your way even when you're right in front of the door (for example when making an exit from a lift)- that used to annoy the shit out of me but you've gotta remember you're not a royalty. Of course, you don't have to be a royalty to be shown some basic human courtesy. But this is HK, I still love it and I've adapted well like a lizard ( that doesn't mean I've evolved into one rude moron).

Quote Originally Posted by Mary 2:
    You have to get your timing right here. I’ll start to hold a door open but expect them to make some sort of move to take over the door holding from me. This decision has to be made in a fraction of a second. If their body movement and positioning suggests that they expect me to act as a doorman then I let the door go.
    Not sure why the doors out here are so heavy. I held the door open for somebody with a walking stick (waited quite a few seconds for them to get through). The did say thank you in canto. Also held the door open for an old person with walking frame at the local chinese divey restaurant. They said thank you in English. I guess I look odd enough not to be a full local.

There's also the people on other side of glass doors, they purposely slow down to wait for you to open the door (god forbid it opens my way) so they can walk through with zero effort. I'm like really? And my addition to the top 3 (zombie walkers - seriously just stand to the side instead of walking super slow, smash the close door - there are people in my building who will press down to go to basement and then hold on to close so it doesn't stop at ground floor. !@&$**!@, and the people who walk by if you hold the door for them with no thanks), is number 4 the people who just love to walk in front when your paths cross even if it's not better for them. I throw them off by walking quicker, and they do it too, and end up deviating from their intended path. It's also funny when you are slightly faster than them and they have to stop in their tracks. I don't get why they have this impulse. If you cross paths, I usually walk behind the person as courtesy. Unless I'm messing with them. Call it payback lol.

Edwardstorm likes this.