Like Tree45Likes

Logic Check

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I'm glad I grew up where it's about the same level of rudeness as HK so it doesn't bother me. I think after the SARS scare some people are pathological about not touching doors and such if they can avoid it.

I will still hold the door open for the next person but I don't expect a thank you or anything like that, I think I wouldn't get one in a lot of places in the US when it's as crowded as it usually is in HK.

Also, I cut some slack because some people panic when seeing a foreign face and are afraid to say m'goy and are also afraid of their English so say nothing. Yes, some people are being rude but more are clueless, scared, or too busy looking at a phone. When I was younger, I took things more personally, but now I think I more philosophical. I realize most people are just clueless or could care less...

My father never really adapted to the lack of politeness compared to home and retired (and died) back in Tacoma, WA.

Coolboy and rkenia852 like this.

There is another category of people who deliberately close the door behind them knowing that you are just a few seconds behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Scenario: You are right behind someone walking out the door of a building. The person in front walks out and knows you are only two steps behind them.

Western norm: Person in front exits door but holds it ajar for you as they know someone is behind him or her. Person in front wants to show common courtesy to human behind them.

HK norm: Person in front exits door and does not bother to consider person behind him or her. They know it could slam in your face if you are holding objects in both hands. It doesn't seem to matter to him or her. Person in front believes they would lose face and lower their status by holding doors ajar for people?

I have had cases where I actually open doors and let people in first. They walk right through as if I work at a hotel and do not even bother saying thank you!

I'm used to these "norms" but want to make sure I understand the logic.

I've adapted and unfortunately only excercise courtesy toward the elderly and handicapped.
    Shrugs. I guess logic and social norms don't always go together. A norm is something one should do in a particular context, it does not say what one should do is either right morally or is logical. It simply is something that one does to conform to social expectations. That expectation may well be unjust or not be logical upon closer examination.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 08-08-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    Morrison and civil_servant like this.

Politeness is one thing - germs another.

In us I've noticed people don't want to press the elevator button if they can get someone else to do it.

And in the restroom - they don't want to touch the door handle on the way out.
    So they'll open it with their foot or acrobatically wriggle through as it's slamming shut.
    Others grab the handle with a tissue paper and then throw it on the floor as they exit.
    Morrison, Coolboy and RMDNC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:

I love watching mobile zombies crashing into doors or getting squashe between two doors
    i honestly can’t believe there aren’t more road accidents caused by this or pedestrian injuries

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I'm glad I grew up where it's about the same level of rudeness as HK so it doesn't bother me. I think after the SARS scare some people are pathological about not touching doors and such if they can avoid it.
    Well those anti-septic alcohol wash selling at your local 7-11 becomes handy on those occasions. I was puzzled by why those items are so popular at first and then it struck me, post-SARS, of course.

On the other hand I have seen younger people give up their seats on the MTR for an older person who was standing. Doesn't always happen but have seen it several times. Someone even gave me their seat once. But I do have silver hair now!

The holding doors thing annoys me too because I grew up in UK, but I did talk to a local about it and they were more like, why should that be the global social etiquette? And i can see the point.

If i hold the door open, it slows me down a bit. But if I hold the door open, does it only mean something if the other person says thanks? if i only do it for the "thanks" then am I truly polite and helpful or just doing it for self gratification (the altruism question)? And if the other person doesn't ask for it, then do they need to thank me for something I have kinda forced upon them to have?