Like Tree31Likes

When will certain healthier foods become more in demand?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sith:
    I only buy brown rice (when cooking at home)
    White rice has zero nutrients! And indeed as RDMNC mentioned you need more water to cook brown rice.
    I suggest you Google "white rice nutrition". To say it has zero nutrients is far from true. Less than brown rice you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I suggest you Google "white rice nutrition". To say it has zero nutrients is far from true. Less than brown rice you mean.
    HaHa sorry to really burst your bubble, but white rice is nutritionally speaking, just short term stomach filler of no nutritional importance whatsoever... From a nutritional standpoint, white rice pales in comparison to whole grain brown rice.. White rice is digested far too quickly, rapidly gets processed into sugar and only fills you up for a very short period of time. Whereas, brown rice is digested by the body at a much slower rate, releasing a steady stream of fuel/energy to power your muscles and keeps you more alert.

I've never been a big fan of white rice, we have barely touched rice since stopped living in East Asia, for various health reasons. We just have rice as a treat with Char Siu faan or Yangzhou Chai faan, every once in a while, we certainly dont live on it and avoid a lot of HK favourites because of the huge amounts of oil, sugar and salt present in most dishes.. Nup, unless you want dangerous health issues, and probably dead before 60, keep eating this way!

In Hong Kong, I must admit it was harder to eat properly at a reasonable price. These days I drink a litre of green veg juice every morning till lunch and usually eat light at night and even then, I wont touch processed foods, never snack between meals in the afternoon, banned sodapop and commercial orange juice from our house, tending to stick with fresh natural foods, cold pressed juices and sparkling mineral water. Another positive since we moved, is it is relatively easy to avoid binge drinking/smoking social cliques these days, which wasn't as simple in Hong Kong.

Definitely feeling ' A LOT ' healthier these days and probably should have moved a decade earlier than we did, in hindsight.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 09-08-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    TheBrit, Sith, emx and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    HaHa sorry to really burst your bubble, but white rice is nutritionally speaking, just short term stomach filler or no nutritional importance whatsoever... From a nitritional standpoint, white rice pales in comparison to whole grain brown rice.. White rice is digested far too quickly, is rapidly processed into sugar and only gives fills you up for a very short period of time. Whereas, brown rice is digested by the body at a much slower rate, releasing a steady stream of fuel/energy to power your muscles and keeps you more alert. I've never been a big fan of white rice, we have barely touched rice since we left living in East Asia, for various health reasons. We just have rice as a treat with Char Siu faan or Yangzhou Chai faan, every once in a while, we certainly dont live on it and avoid a lot of HK favourites because of the huge amounts of oil, sugar and salt present in most dishes.. nup unless you want dangerous health issues, and probably dead before 60, keep eating this way.

HK I must admit, was harder to eat properly at a reasonable price. These days I drink a litre of green veg juice every morning to lunch and usually eat light at night, and even then wont touch processed foods, never snacked in the afternoon, banned sodapop and commercial orange juice from our house, tending to stick with fresh natural foods, cold pressed juices and sparkling mineral water. Another positive since we moved is it is relatively easy to avoid binge drinking/smoking social cliques these days, which wasnt as simple in Hong Kong.

Definitely feeling ' A LOT ' healthier these days and probably should have moved a decade earlier than we did, in hindsight.
    Did you read what I said? No bubble to burst. I was just correcting the point that white rice has ZERO nutritional value. Simply untrue.
    periphery831 likes this.

Yeah sorry not zero but it is close though. If chickens get sick eating white rice but recover after eating brown rice it does mean something.

just cut the carbs, try intermittent fasting or keto diet

Skyhook likes this.

What!? Cut out white rice from the Chinese diet! Sacrilege! Most locals have a dim view of western nutritionist recommendations.

Eat more fruit and vegetables, it will make up for the lack of nutrients in white rice.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:

There’s some healthier places that’ll do salads etc but they’re expensive at $80 a pop.
    Salad is not a meal.

White rice has zero nutrients LOL

You could have a perfectly healthy diet fitting white rice into your macros while eating a variety of healthier options around it.

White Rice, Medium Grain Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 cup cooked (186 g)
    Per Serving % Daily Value*
    Calories 242
    Calories from Fat 4
    Total Fat 0.4g 1%
    Saturated Fat 0.1g 1%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.1g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 0mg 0%
    Potassium 53.94mg 2%
    Carbohydrates 53.2g 18%
    Dietary Fiber 0.6g 2%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 4.4g
    Vitamin A 0% · Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0% · Iron 34%

Want to eat healthier for a reasonable price?

Meal prep.

Skyhook likes this.

There are lots of different kinds of non-white rice - they don't all taste the same. I mostly get brown basmati rice at the moment - grown in California. Prefer it over white - taste and health.

I tried Beyond Meat Beef last weekend - just because I was curious. Pretty good fake - both in raw and cooked form. Don't think I will buy it again though.