Like Tree31Likes

When will certain healthier foods become more in demand?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

There is demand, but not at the current prices. Its the same as most other countries where eating healthier means more expensive.

Thats why you get a few healthier options around Central and Admiralty, but a lunch will cost you around $100. Whereas a set lunch in a cha chaan teng is just over $50. If you offer me a healthy (and filling, so no just reducing portions) lunch for $50-60, i would take that!

Most locals focus on thier soups to get nutrients in my observations. After that it turns to fried fatty sometimes greasy and surely salty foods that do taste good but scare me. Of course there's the three meal carbs to complement. I think tea is supposed to help cut the days and dilute the sodium.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    I tried Beyond Meat Beef last weekend - just because I was curious. Pretty good fake - both in raw and cooked form. Don't think I will buy it again though.
    Where? I would like to try one. Thanks.

Healthy food is expensive and mostly doesn't taste that good and often not very complex if compared against less healthy cheaper equivalents.

Have had beyond meat burger before. It tastes like microwave burger patties you buy in a box in the frozen meals section of the supermarket. Just tastes like poor quality processed beef. Definitely not good enough to switch if you are only mildly concerned about cows getting a bolt to the head. .

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine:
    Beyond Meat patties are sold in many places now, citysuper should have them:

https://geoexpat.com/forum/32/thread344172.html

Even HKTVmall sells them.

For restaurants, try searching on OpenRice:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:openrice.com "beyond meat"
    jonastainine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi the shrimp:
    Salad is not a meal.
    You've clearly never had a good salad.
    emx, hullexile and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine:
    Sorry, that was Chicago - not HK.
    Yes, you should try one if you are curious like me.

About $8 for one of these - so not cheaper than meat. Probably not healthier either...made of beans + a lot of other stuff I'm not sure about.

For healthy foods, I cook at home.

I also think brown rice and whole grain breads taste bad. As does any Coke that is not the OG version.

If you want to be healthy, have good genetics and luck. Plenty of people living well into old age in Hong Kong who have lived through poverty and continue to live through poverty and the diets that such life affords.

but that veggie option may in fact contain some meat products consumer council reports (does not name brands):

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...7-20190815.htm

HK_Katherine likes this.