Like Tree31Likes

When will certain healthier foods become more in demand?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

When will certain healthier foods become more in demand?

For example, brown rice and wheat bread. While these are sold in supermarkets, I have yet to see them available at local mom and pop type food places. I mean people eating white toast. What's wrong with wheat toast? Brown rice is not an option. Panda Express in the U.S. has made it an option, even mixed with quiona if desired. A typical and popular local lunch plate is lots of white rice (maybe three to four scoops, deep fried pork chops, a slice of ham or sausage (hot dog) and two scrambled eggs with lots of pepper brown gravy. While this is delicious the first few times its totally unhealthy to eat dishes like it for lunch daily. To top it off I see Coca-Cola is very popular along with other sugared sodas like cream soda. Its a diabetic and clogged arteries risk IMO.

Elegiaque likes this.

It’s catered for the locals, Prices need to be competitive I.e $50 ish for a lunch set.

You won’t get healthy for that unless you make your own.

There’s some healthier places that’ll do salads etc but they’re expensive at $80 a pop. Not possible to get everyday if you’re on a typical local salary.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    What's wrong with wheat toast?
    I'll tell you what's wrong with wheat toast: It tastes like cardboard.

Healthy food is overrated. Everybody has to die some day, at least I've had something delicious as my last meal and not bird food with celery.

I just think the health department is not doing a good job in educating the public about eating healthier. Even the food at places like Fairwood and similar is not too healthy if consumed daily.

Healthier options, like wheat bread, are an acquired taste. If you know the pros and cons then taste takes a back seat initially. Over time, you will begin to like healthier options.

Skyhook, GeoTommy, jenic and 4 others like this.

Healthier options, like wheat bread, are an acquired taste.
    I really like having the option at Subway to choose your own bread. Too bad other local restaurants/chains don’t provide that option.

Even the food at places like Fairwood and similar is not too healthy if consumed daily.
    Try contacting them to switch to wheat bread and brown rice and see what they say?

https://ssl.fairwood.com.hk/eng/comment/contactus.jsp
    http://www.cafedecoral.com/eng/main/contact_us.jsp
    Elegiaque and Sith like this.

Changed to wholemeal bread and much prefer it. However brown rice is disgusting. I would rather go without.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Changed to wholemeal bread and much prefer it. However brown rice is disgusting. I would rather go without.
    Try to cook it with more water so it comes out less dry?
    Sith and Skyhook like this.

I agree, except that it's "delicious". Definitely not, but really frustrating lack of choice when it comes to a quick lunch out.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I only buy brown rice (when cooking at home)
    White rice has zero nutrients! And indeed as RDMNC mentioned you need more water to cook brown rice.
    Elefant&Castle and Mefisto like this.

For example, .... wheat bread.
    Most bread is with wheat. That will cover 95%. Even in France baguette is 100% wheat flour. Of course there is also rye, spelt and whatever. What you mean it probably that wholewheat is more healthier than white white flour, plus of course the industrial methods used.

Strangely, Garden Bread (not exactly known for high quality artisan breads) has on their packing printed: Cholesterol Free. They could also print free of lead, nicotine, MSG. Bread is flour, salt, yeast and water. Ideally.

I am not sure what people demand, buy meanwhile there are plenty of options in Hong Kong for better. You decide.

totally unhealthy to eat dishes like it for lunch daily. To top it off I see Coca-Cola is very popular along with other sugared sodas like cream soda. Its a diabetic and clogged arteries risk IMO.
    You get what you order in the first place. If it comes with coke, does not mean you must drink it. I have maybe 3 cokes a year. No good lunch options today, buy some bananas. Or simply get rid of lunch altogether. You don't need lunch, it's just a habit.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast