• 2 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By imparanoic
  • 1 Post By RMDNC
  • 2 Post By RMDNC
  • 2 Post By jgl

Hiking Boots/Running Shoes Repair

Hiking Boots/Running Shoes Repair

Hey folks,
    I've got a pair of hiking boots - MERRELL that are in good condition and both the boot and sole have a fair bit of life left in them. However, the sole has come off .

In addition, I've got 2 pairs of New Balance running shoes where the sole or little rubber treads have come off.

I am finding it hard to find anyone wiling/capable of repairing either. Easy enough to turn around and suggest buying a new one but I reckon I can be more environmentally conscious and/or cheap.

Wondering if anyone knows any shops/cobblers that might give a hand?

Kindly no DIY suggestions - tried and failed :P

No DIY but FYI I slit/ tore the rear part of the sole of some brand new Nike running shoes by running over construction materials. Shoe repair from Japan Home fixed it. I taped down the sole after glue to ensure adhesion and let it cure for a few weeks. Basically I wrote off the shoes and bought new ones but amazingly have been able to use the repaired every other day with no sign of it coming apart.

No show repair place is gonna be as patient as you in terms of curing.

rkenia852 and imparanoic like this.

Shoe repair from Japan Home? - do you mean glue?

What kind of tape did you use - how did you get it to not peel off the parts that were also stuck with adhesive?

Have you tried the shoe repair stalls in Pedder Street?

rkenia852 likes this.

Yes - they don't do anything apart from regular leather shoes.

Get this stuff, or something like it: https://outdoor.mcnett.eu/seamgrip/

You want the stuff with tolulene in it, not the more biologically friendly versions. And don't get tolulene all over your hands when you're using it*. Sources would be Chamonix, RC Outfitters. I've seen it at Pro-Trek but not in all stores.

Google around for how to do sole repairs, there's lots of tutorials out there. Make sure you clean the contact surfaces with a brush (old toothbrush works well) and apply pressure for the duration of the curing. Duct tape works well for this. The results tend to be ugly, but they're hiking boots so it doesn't matter. If you do it properly, the repair will last for years.

I would not use regular shoe repair goo from JHC or anywhere else for hiking boot repair. The stuff that I have seen is just some kind of flexible contact cement and not particularly heavy duty. For serious hiking, the last thing you want to worry about is your soles falling off again.

This stuff would work too, it's basically the same as seam sealer: https://www.shoegoohk.com/

* Edit: Tolulene is nasty. Wear gloves, let the stuff cure outside.

Last edited by jgl; 26-08-2019 at 01:39 PM.
    imparanoic and rkenia852 like this.

you can get shoe goo for HK$30 from the new japanese store which opens 24 hours, tsim sha tsui, Don Don Donki, rather awesome and slightly place, they sell household items, nice japanese food, toiletries, toys, nice high end japanese whiskey and other bizarre items including adult items

rkenia852 likes this.

Shoe repair glue. Brand is Contact Adhesive. I was not the one who bought it but I am fairly certain it came from JH although at least a year ago. 852 2223 0000 on back of package for company customer service. Double check with them. Package reads Contact Adhesive "Classic" with pics of shoes. Its different from what is on thier site currently as I only see "Leather" with pics of shoes.

For tape, I have some of that blue painters tape around so used it. Most people probably dont have that laying around but I would say any wide tape that peels off easily is OK. Just make sure you tape it fairly tight. Smelly so leave in ventilated area for weeks.

rkenia852 likes this.

rkenia852 and jonastainine like this.

That Pattex cement is exactly what I was thinking of when I said not to buy from Japan Home. I couldn't recall the brand name but I've seen it there before. It is certainly not rugged enough to use on hiking boots.

On the other hand, the tolulene-based stuff is amazing. I've got repairs still going strong on clothing from before 2005, and on one pair of approach shoes from ~2012.

The reason that seam sealer works, but contact cement won't, is because the seam sealer forms a really durable barrier at the sole and the upper, which stops sand and grit from entering. With contact cement, you'll still get tiny sand particles getting into that junction. Sand combined with constant flexing at that junction will just see the the sole gradually (or very quickly in the wrong conditions) separated from the upper again.

rkenia852 and imparanoic like this.