Like Tree129Likes

Where is "home"?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

How did this conversation turn into comparing p@#nUs sizes?

shri and civil_servant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon:
    Because someone said they missed large houses back home and someone else said its not bad in HK you can get 700 sq ft.
    Kowloon Goon and Skyhook like this.

I have been in HK for 9 years. Before that is was the UK for 11 years. New Zealand was my home country for 34 years, but I have no desire to go back, and it is 12 years since I last visited. For the last 7 years we’ve had a house in France, and I spend increasing periods of time there (I have been here for 2 months, back in HK in 2 weeks).

Home for me is this house, Maybe because I’ve worked so hard to bring it back to life. I don’t really think of a country as home any more, I’m not a great believer in the sanctity of culture based on artificial borders, it’s the location that matters and having friendly people around.

So no, HK isn’t home

Skyhook likes this.

Government subsidized penis sizes.
    Kowloon Goon and imparanoic like this.

For the same penis size (HK$15m), you can get a crappy shoebox in HK, or 2 double story 4 bed homes in Aus in very nice areas (AU$1.4m each). For 12 years I have chosen crappy shoebox for work and money reasons, but now enough is enough and swapping this out for a 1 double story home and I refinance the crappy shoebox (redraw up to 50% of current value) so I get to keep it and rent it out. So really comparing "where is home", for me HK has just been a place to make money but now is time to move somewhere I can really call a home.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Government subsidized penis sizes.
    but has it been illegally sub divided just like those dodgy flats and even more dodgy landlords?

Agree with all that has been said thus far. Notions of home are complex and complicated. Yet, Hong Kong's future, with the government's inability to improve standards for the masses, coupled with air pollution, has me thinking that our time here is nearing an end.

TheBrit, bdw, Skyhook and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    but has it been illegally sub divided just like those dodgy flats and even more dodgy landlords?
    Nah, a tent town outside the borders. That's where those looking for new opportunities go.
    imparanoic likes this.

The question really has to be asked. Exactly how are you measuring these penis sizes? [emoji1]

Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    For the same penis size (HK$15m), you can get a crappy shoebox in HK, or 2 double story 4 bed homes in Aus in very nice areas (AU$1.4m each). For 12 years I have chosen crappy shoebox for work and money reasons, but now enough is enough and swapping this out for a 1 double story home and I refinance the crappy shoebox (redraw up to 50% of current value) so I get to keep it and rent it out. So really comparing "where is home", for me HK has just been a place to make money but now is time to move somewhere I can really call a home.
    Making money and calling some place home does not need to be mutually exclusive...

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast