Like Tree15Likes

Issues disabled people face in HK (handicapped, mentally disabled... any kind)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    On the positive site, it should be worth including govt and NGO items which help people in the app.

- Labour department jobs and subsidies
    - Transportation
    - Rehab
    - Home services

Quite the task that you're taking on - may be start with hard to obtain information which can be put into an "app" or website.

Also consider that the app or website should be appropriately coded for accessibility - text to speech etc.
    Thanks a lot.

This is a great idea and project. One other aspect / journey to consider is the experience for close family members / care takers of disabled users. While they don’t face the challenges day to day that the patient requires they are also impacted in a meaningful way.

Quote Originally Posted by tf19
    This is a great idea and project. One other aspect / journey to consider is the experience for close family members / care takers of disabled users. While they don’t face the challenges day to day that the patient requires they are also impacted in a meaningful way.
    Yeah, I guess they do... Thanks :)

Good luck with your project Rosie

In May this year the Hong Hong Society for Rehabilitation published some comprehensive accessibility info on their website.The site is not very user friendly as it initially looks as if access has been denied but if you scroll right down the page you will get to it (sorry not tech savvy so can't post the link). Maybe you can approach or liaise with the society. My suggestion would be stick to one aspect for your app initially (the transport app would be most helpful) and deliver it well, then branch out to cover other fields impacted by disability

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by meinhkhk
    Good luck with your project Rosie

In May this year the Hong Hong Society for Rehabilitation published some comprehensive accessibility info on their website.The site is not very user friendly as it initially looks as if access has been denied but if you scroll right down the page you will get to it (sorry not tech savvy so can't post the link). Maybe you can approach or liaise with the society. My suggestion would be stick to one aspect for your app initially (the transport app would be most helpful) and deliver it well, then branch out to cover other fields impacted by disability
    Thank you, this helps a lot.

Yes, I second the transport/map suggestions. Hong Kong is full of stairs, and it can be very hard if you've gone a long way just to be met with stairs and have to go all the way back.

Quote Originally Posted by rosie05
    Dear all,
    I am a student studying in HK, and am trying to create a phone app to help with issues faced by disabled people. It would be very kind of you if you would like to share any experiences regarding this topic. Thank you.
    -R
    Hong Kong - in many parts - makes the principle that a city should provide for independent mobility across the city and access to buildings. HK is one of the worst cities for that if you are wheel chair bound.

An APP that provides pathways to independent movement and access across Hong Kong would be highly beneficial.

I maybe be wrong but the only time in 8 years I saw people in wheel chairs they were not moving down the street alone but exiting taxis with family and other support - and not just the driver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2