Like Tree44Likes

Fall is approaching, yay!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

As usual, HK goes from summer to winter overnight, missing Autumn entirely!

Coolboy, AsianXpat0 and bdw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Isn't this what an autumn should feel like?
    imparanoic, Coolboy, bdw and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Isn't this what an autumn should feel like?
    My own preference is something like 18 degrees C outside and 21 degrees C indoors, so I'm guessing that for people with similar temperature preferences, our definition of autumn lasted something like 2 weeks.

Others from harsher climes may well be built of hardier stuff!

Ahhh, the smell of moth balls !

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    As well as going from super humidity to super dryness. I was "zapped" twice today with static electricity as I grabbed the door knob in my room. Still, I personally prefer the dryness over the humidity since it's relatively more bearable than the unrelenting humidity of summer.

And to be fair, the last month was pleasant. I didn't need to turn on the air con at all. More pleasant temperature don't usually last too long in HK. A month of fall is all we can ask I suppose.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 03-12-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Super dry recently and yes, been zapped a few times too. Last time was opening the ice-cream fridge in Wellcome - might have been a second message attached to that!!

Actually in winter more wrinkles are visible due to the dry air and my hair loses its curl and volume. I kind like the humidity for anti-ageing and bouncy hair!

Coolboy and chuckster007 like this.

Coming originally from a place with colder winters, it bemused me that the HK Observatory would give out cold weather warnings when the temperature drops to 15 degrees or below. I used to think: "What, 15 degrees is cold?!" But then I have come to realized something. Buildings in HK do not account for change in seasons at all. No insulation whatsoever. If it's 5 degrees outside it is 5 degrees inside. In the summer, without air con, if it is 33 degrees outside, it is 33 degrees inside. No double glazing for windows. No central heating. No consideration of building materials to suit the climate.

Does it have to be this way? Can't buildings be better designed? Of course it can. Why hasn't it been done? Money. Developers don't want to spend extra for a winter that they consider too mild and short to warrant such spending. Maybe that is the case, but sometimes winter in HK can be surprisingly chilly, cold enough to open shelters for those too poor and elderly to brave the cold in their own poorly insulated homes. So winters in HK not cold enough? Hmmmm...not necessarily always the case.

So, what can be improved with HK housing, climate-wise?

Last edited by Coolboy; 05-12-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    chuckster007 and kittykaitak like this.

It may only be 15 degrees right now (warmer than the last few days) but the wind is absolutely chilling. Must be straight from Siberia. Even my local MTR station feels less warm than the past few days.

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    It may only be 15 degrees right now (warmer than the last few days) but the wind is absolutely chilling. Must be straight from Siberia. Even my local MTR station feels less warm than the past few days.
    It's the wind. There is a fresh breeze blowing, that tends to make the temperature feel colder than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    It's the wind. There is a fresh breeze blowing, that tends to make the temperature feel colder than it is.
    Its more of a strong gust than a breeze at my place
    Coolboy likes this.