Like Tree30Likes

Glass recycling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Glass recycling

Anyone else had their glass recycling bins disappear recently? Someone trying to stop protestors getting their hands on bottles?

TigerSun likes this.

Yes, noticed absence today.

Our regular recycler collected our glass bins as normal this past Saturday and left replacement bins as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by kittykaitak
    Anyone else had their glass recycling bins disappear recently? Someone trying to stop protestors getting their hands on bottles?
    Yes, this was announced a week or so ago. To prevent large scale supplies to protestors assembling Molotovs.

Rubbish bins have also been removed across town and replaced in some places with plastic bags..

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ints-part-hong

Quote Originally Posted by kittykaitak
    Yes. Because of course it makes more sense to cancel recyling than to actually think about what the protesters want.

Quote Originally Posted by CharSiuNow
    Yes. Because of course it makes more sense to cancel recyling than to actually think about what the protesters want.
    I have my doubts whether what's collected actually gets recycled anyhow...
    rainylin likes this.

I think the idea was to encourage residents to donate the glass bottles to the students directly for recycling cutting out the middleman so to speak.

Sith and MatthieuTofu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal
    I've visited a glass recycling facility in Tuen Mun. They crush the glass and make them into pavement bricks for the government.

I guess by taking away the bins the government is killing two birds with one stone...

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal
    OK, but that at least would be honest. "Look, dear citizens of Hong Kong, we don't really give a rat's behnd about the planet, we're blasting cold air in the street like there's no tomorrow (which there may not be), we're not planning to make buses or taxis cleaner because that would eat into profits, so let's stop pretending and just throw everything in the harbour."

That would be an improvement. Instead they try to stop the protest by stopping recycling, by banning masks, and by sending riot police to high schools, because, you know, that will really solve our social issues.
    kittykaitak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    I've visited a glass recycling facility in Tuen Mun. They crush the glass and make them into pavement bricks for the government.

I guess by taking away the bins the government is killing two birds with one stone...
    That's not how glass should be recycled, it's bizarre. Back home the bottles have deposits and are brought to store for redemption, the bottles then go to be cleaned and sterilized and reused for the same purpose. Using glass for paving bricks is a terrible waste of the resource, and there is a shortage of sand to make it due to such cases:

http://www.businessinsider.com/globa...ffects-2018-12

I've seen the garbage trucks throw everything, mixed with trash, into the back, so I guess they just combine it for easy sorting later?

HK has, bar none, the most atrocious environmental policy and awareness of any city I've lived in. Why a city with virtually non-existent resources and even less land, yet ample wealth, doesn't have a mandatory recycling program is beyond me. The amount of waste created here is mind boggling, especially in terms of home/commercial renos and perfectly good furniture.
    drumbrake, jgl, tinlissie and 6 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast