Like Tree38Likes

Sneaked in cat into rental property

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bh8

Unhappy Sneaked in cat into rental property

If my tenant lied about not owning an animal, and then let it slip that she had a cat in my property all along. What are my options? Has anyone had experience with this?

Does the building allow pets? Or just something between you and the tenant?

Bh8

Between myself and the tenant, as well as the realtor.

Unless the contract specifically mentions that pets aren't allowed you have no options.

shri and spode like this.

Methinks @mrgoodkat may have a horse in the race.

CarterTG, shri and dumbdonkey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja
    Methinks @mrgoodkat may have a horse hidden in the living room
    CharSiuNow likes this.

So you asked them if they had pets and they said no? Or just didn't tell you about it (i.e. not lying)?

You have a deposit, make it clear any damages will be taken out.

Any particular reason why you don't allow a cat? If it's because of your allergies, for example, perhaps you can just specify she pays for special cleaning after to ensure all the cat hair and dander is gone? Otherwise, if there is no actual reason and the cat is not doing any harm, why not just let it go? You will have a much more loyal tenant who will take care to ensure the cat does no damage. Win win.

Elegiaque, Cornmeal, spode and 3 others like this.

We did this as tenants once.

When we took the flat, we didn't have any cats but enquired about his conditions, since we said we might be interested in the future -- he said he would prefer not (he has allergies), but let's see. We started fostering, which was only temporary. We told the landlord about this, I think, and the ball was in his court regarding what changes to the deposit or conditions there would be. No answer.

A couple of years later, we ended up adopting one, but we didn't take the initiative to contact the landlord again and remind him that we were taking care of kittens and inform him that we adopted one. Some time later (years?) he found out and contacted us somewhat angrily out of blue. It was upsetting that we felt "spied" on.

He made some unreasonable request that we pay an extra deposit ($10,000? $20,000? can't remember) and a non-refundable $2,000 cleaning fee. We think his lawyer wife had something to do with this.

He already had a $40,000 deposit from us, so we couldn't see the sense of asking for an EXTRA deposit, because we simply cannot imagine what kind of damage a cat could cause to a concrete shoebox that would even cost all of our original deposit! He agreed, but the cleaning fee still stood, which we paid. We told him that mostly what the cat would damage would be our own things, and they've hardly damaged those either. When we moved out, we did receive our full original deposit back.

Like HK_Katherine says, what is really the problem with a tenant having cats if it's an unfurnished property? If it's smell, these flats can be cheaply repainted for the next tenant. If you're concerned about scratched floors -- I've never seen a cat do this, but you could gift your tenant a cardboard scratcher which cats much prefer!

Really, HK apartment cats are pretty innocent creatures and there's no need to worry about them damaging your precious investment. On the other hand, it's great if the tenant is providing a home to possibly a cat in need to provide it with a better quality of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    We did this as tenants once.

When we took the flat, we didn't have any cats but enquired about his conditions, since we said we might be interested in the future -- he said he would prefer not (he has allergies), but let's see. We started fostering, which was only temporary. We told the landlord about this, I think, and the ball was in his court regarding what changes to the deposit or conditions there would be. No answer.

A couple of years later, we ended up adopting one, but we didn't take the initiative to contact the landlord again and remind him that we were taking care of kittens and inform him that we adopted one. Some time later (years?) he found out and contacted us somewhat angrily out of blue. It was upsetting that we felt "spied" on.

He made some unreasonable request that we pay an extra deposit ($10,000? $20,000? can't remember) and a non-refundable $2,000 cleaning fee. We think his lawyer wife had something to do with this.

He already had a $40,000 deposit from us, so we couldn't see the sense of asking for an EXTRA deposit, because we simply cannot imagine what kind of damage a cat could cause to a concrete shoebox that would even cost all of our original deposit! He agreed, but the cleaning fee still stood, which we paid. We told him that mostly what the cat would damage would be our own things, and they've hardly damaged those either. When we moved out, we did receive our full original deposit back.

Like HK_Katherine says, what is really the problem with a tenant having cats if it's an unfurnished property? If it's smell, these flats can be cheaply repainted for the next tenant. If you're concerned about scratched floors -- I've never seen a cat do this, but you could gift your tenant a cardboard scratcher which cats much prefer!

Really, HK apartment cats are pretty innocent creatures and there's no need to worry about them damaging your precious investment. On the other hand, it's great if the tenant is providing a home to possibly a cat in need to provide it with a better quality of life.
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    Any particular reason why you don't allow a cat? If it's because of your allergies, for example, perhaps you can just specify she pays for special cleaning after to ensure all the cat hair and dander is gone? Otherwise, if there is no actual reason and the cat is not doing any harm, why not just let it go? You will have a much more loyal tenant who will take care to ensure the cat does no damage. Win win.
    It's quite hard for a cat to damage ceramic tiles and cement and if door frames scratched it should be easily covered by deposit. Unless the owner is woefully inept there shouldn't be any smell once the litter-box is removed and the place is cleaned, so long as the cat is spayed/neutered.
    MABinPengChau, spode and beagle11 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast