Like Tree46Likes

Stop & Search - what's the law?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

A very good question.

In all these years, a lot of my friends - of all colour, origin, education, occupation , you name it - have been involved with the police one or the other way. Some, like the OP have had that misfortune to fall under the radar merely because of how they dress(ed) up. Like black , most recently. While black attire might have given an impression of a "protester '(hence " suspicious"), I, for one, have never been "stopped and questioned" for the same reason.

People used to say I'm an easy target of suspicion. When I was a teenager, I looked like someone who carried heroine around (what they said) HAHA- because, I dressed up that gothic way. You know how it is. My skin tone is somewhat fair, somewhat pale yellow - inherited from an Asian mother and a Caucasian father - that means I could fit into any race, and hence, prone to vulnerability at anytime .But well, I walked past the police chaps a thousand times in that "druggy person" look but wasn't stopped once. Sometimes, I'd walk (or do so even now) without the HKID card (intentionally or unintentionally). but have been lucky enough to go "unchecked ".

That leaves me with the question - what exactly could be those confounding " criteria " to look "suspicious " ?

(P.s- not bragging about me not being stopped and searched/questioned. I'm just, let's say, enthralled by the confusing law).

rkenia852 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    What a load of nonsense. Taking pictures exposes them to doxxing?
    Which part of that did you not comprehend?

Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852:
    Which part of that did you not comprehend?
    You conflating taking a picture with doxxing.

It's as stupid as saying someone buying a kitchen knife is going to stab someone.
    shri, aw451, rkenia852 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    You conflating taking a picture with doxxing.

It's as stupid as saying someone buying a kitchen knife is going to stab someone.
    reductio ad absurdum

reductio ad absurdum
    Not really. I've taken tens of thousands of photos and never doxxed anyone. I suspect you have too. Your original point is absurd.
    rkenia852, aw451, spode and 1 others like this.

Are we at the my doxx is bigger than your doxx stage? Best to that one alone.

@shri - keeping everyone honest; especially so on a Sunday!

Unlike, shall we say, the HKPF?

TheBrit and aw451 like this.

The descent lower in standards continues unabated.

Valid question in these days and times. Late 30s, clean shaven, bright red jacket and a gym bag.
    @mrgoodkat is right. It seems to be more directed toward minorities; but I wonder if there's criminal activity/support from minorities toward protesters that warrants this targeting.
    Seriously?

We go from acknowledging that the police target minorities more than others to this giant leap in casual racism that 'perhaps there's criminal activity/support from minorities toward protesters that warrants this targeting.'

On what planet does that logic work?

So minorities are simply worse than the general population and as a consequence should be stopped more?

It is precisely these sorts of illogical, careless and ignorant statements that perpetuate this insidious 'us Vs them' mentality that makes it easier to pick on 'others/minorities'.

Just remember that everyone is a minority, somewhere in this world, and that no one is a collective.

Geez!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3