Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Coolboy
  • 3 Post By TigerSun
  • 3 Post By GentleGeorge
  • 1 Post By TigerSun

Pod of 100 False Killer Whales spotted in Victoria Harbour

Pod of 100 False Killer Whales spotted in Victoria Harbour

Saw this in the news yesterday and though about sharing it, since even in the dense urban jungle of HK we can see surprising sights, like a pod of 100 false killer whales swimming in Victoria Harbour:

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...plash-surprise

False Killer whales are actually dolphins, despite their name. Victoria Harbour is not an ideal place of course given the ship and boat traffic, so I hope they safely can swim outta there. Still, to be graced with the sight of 100 dolpins right in the middle of HK between the urban canyons of HK Island and Kowloon is...quite a sight I must say. Hope we can appreciate the wonder of nature for just a moment in our otherwise busy lives.

The last sighting of a large group of false killers in HK was back in 2014, in waters north of Lantau:

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...isit-hong-kong

Last edited by Coolboy; 18-01-2020 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    Saw this in the news yesterday...
    Just WOW! Thanx, had not seen that. Feel sorry they have to swim thru that cesspool.
    Coolboy, shri and MatthieuTofu like this.

In unrelated news, good sushi available tonight in Lei Yue Mun

shri, East_coast and MatthieuTofu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge
    In unrelated news, good sushi available tonight in Lei Yue Mun
    HK don't offer whale meat as sushi, ain't that good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    Just WOW! Thanx, had not seen that. Feel sorry they have to swim thru that cesspool.
    Actually the harbour is cleaner now than it was pre-handover thanks to several pollution control measures. I'm not saying I would swim in it, but I am hoping being marine mammals, the false killer whales will be able to withstand the muck better than a measly human.

The harbour might be 'cleaner' but it's certainly not clean. It's one of the busiest harbours in the world with discharges and leaks from many vessels, not to mention the seriously polluted runoff from unregulated Pearl River industries and illegal dumping. Researchers have found every type of pollutants including heavy metals, dioxins, PCBs, and pyrethrins that are especially deadly to fish.

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun
    The harbour might be 'cleaner' but it's certainly not clean. It's one of the busiest harbours in the world with discharges and leaks from many vessels, not to mention the seriously polluted runoff from unregulated Pearl River industries and illegal dumping. Researchers have found every type of pollutants including heavy metals, dioxins, PCBs, and pyrethrins that are especially deadly to fish.
    Certainly. I was speaking in relative terms of course. And dolphins and whales, which tend to be higher up on the food chain, do absorb more of these harmful metals. But as for the germs in the water, Iike I said, I am hoping the whales' immune system can deal with that better than humans can, since we are land mammals after all.