Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By shri

Employment Termination during Probation: advice?

Closed Thread

Employment Termination during Probation: advice?

So, a colleague of mine who was working (under probation currently) at a local company was suddenly notified that his employment with xyz was terminated (one day notice) on the grounds of financial crisis - in the contract letter though, the notification should be at least a week beforehand.

The employer has stated that HK Labour Law and Ordinance allows a one day notification. I've never heard about such things, or is it really true that the law allows an employer to just issue a termination notice a day before the last working day? I'm not accustomed to such situations and hence, I couldn't advice him anything, unfortunately. Any insight into this folks?

P.s - other than giving him the wages of this month, there's no other compensation being awarded.

Thanks @shri .

NONE of that matters during probation. And it goes both ways - employees can also leave without giving notice and leave employers in an unreasonable way.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    NONE of that matters during probation. And it goes both ways - employees can also leave without giving notice and leave employers in an unreasonable way.
    I misread the info! So, I've deleted my vague question. Anyway, that should do. Thank you!!