Like Tree14Likes

No work due to coronavirus - what to do next?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No work due to coronavirus - what to do next?

Hello I am a Native English Teacher based in HK, but due to the outbreak my centre is closed for the week. This is likely to be extended to the end of the month. I simply cannot afford no salary for the month and may need to leave HK. Do you think my landlord will refund my deposit in these circumstances? I will need it to find somewhere to live back home. It simply doesn't make sense for me to be left in this situation when it wasn't my fault in the first place. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

What does your contract state? Most companies will need to pay you out so don't let them get away with being cheap.

It's a 12 month tenancy, deposit is only returned once this time has passed. But these are extraordinary circumstances...

Quote Originally Posted by hk-expat123:
    It's a 12 month tenancy, deposit is only returned once this time has passed. But these are extraordinary circumstances...
    Not one to defend landlords but from their point of view why should they take the hit? Could you find someone to take over the lease?
    traineeinvestor, Cminds and mexmon like this.

My employer is my landlord... and they’re not paying me. Messed up situation I know

hullexile and MABinPengChau like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-expat123:
    My employer is my landlord... and they’re not paying me. Messed up situation I know
    Ah that is different!
    hk-expat123 and Paxbritannia like this.

How long have you been working for this landlord?

Exactly so how can I pay rent if I have no salary?

Not that long

What does your working contract state? How can your employer just not pay you if you are under an employment contract? Are you at a school or a learning centre?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast