Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By jgl
  • 2 Post By GentleGeorge
  • 2 Post By Bob Loblaw
  • 1 Post By shri

Uneven Steps in the Public Parks

Closed Thread

Uneven Steps in the Public Parks

I was climbing High Junk Peak recently and I noticed some new rock steps have been installed on the steep side near the top, very helpful as it was quite scrabbly before.

Purely out of interest, who installs them, and who decides when they are needed?

AFCD - Agricultural, Fisheries and Conservation Department...

Not sure how they determine steps are needed, but they're responsible for trail maintenance.

rkenia852 likes this.

Please tell me they haven't installed those incredibly badly thought out wooden plank steps (that cause rapid erosion), or a truckload of ugly concrete. The AFCD seems to only be aware of these two techniques.

I did it about six weeks ago, and there were no new steps. The old rocky trail was really nice.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Please tell me they haven't installed those incredibly badly thought out wooden plank steps (that cause rapid erosion), or a truckload of ugly concrete. The AFCD seems to only be aware of these two techniques.

I did it about six weeks ago, and there were no new steps. The old rocky trail was really nice.
    The wooden ones indeed turn the trail into a stepping stone playground . I'm not sure what's worse, an uneven rocky path or wooden stepping stones that are breaking apart.

These ones are quite tasteful actually, just a bunch of rocks with flat tops neatly arranged into steps (and I suppose supported by those metal pins, but didn't look closely)

jgl and rkenia852 like this.

Nothing worse than steps on the mountains. If I wanted to hike on steps and stairs I would hike IFC Mall.

Might want to check out these folks: https://www.facebook.com/HongKongNaturalTrails/

They're trying to get more natural trails (of various kinds) and less concrete. They also organize some volunteer trail maintenance days, I believe.

Funny how these seemed like such burning issues not that long ago.

mrgoodkat and rkenia852 like this.