Like Tree26Likes

E-Payments in Hong Kong

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Some people will be more receptive to new forms of payment which are more convenient and some will not. Some won't trust it, and some will. I still see people use cash to pay for bread even though they are scanning their membership using the app. It's not like they don't have the technical knowhow to use a phone. Some people will only charge their Octopus by cash. Some like credit cards.

I like the convenience of being cashless. And using services like Payme or Alipay HK which are accepted at places even if they don't even take octopus and small transactions. Of course have credit card for larger transactions and nicer restaurants. And I know when I'm spending money, it's when I'm buying stuff LOL. The only true way to spend less is to not buy anything, cuz once you start that cycle you only keep buying more and more.

alexdown and rkenia852 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tf19
    a

Wrap your mouse with a $100 bill?
    I think just cover your monitor/display with bills, it'll prevent you from seeing the targeted ads and awesome deals available!
    CharSiuNow and rkenia852 like this.

I'm pretty young but see no need to have Apple Pay, WeChat Pay and the entire array of QR code based payment choices. Octopus is convenient enough and NFC on Credit Card makes for some fast purchases as well.
    Let's be honest with ourselves, HK will never be cashless because there is no need for it to be like that. Also the younger generation here (after the protests and all) are a lot more distrustful over e-payments, I don't exactly see AliPay or WeChat being a big thing here apart from mainland tourists...

It just comes down to 3 issues

Convenience, security and tax

Convenience - How fast and simple - Cash & Octopus
    Security - Risk of fraud / theft - Credit Card, Bank Transfer
    Tax - Hiding income - Cash

The mix of cash, NFC payments (octopus), contactless credit cards (NFC) and bank transfers seems fine for almost any application I can think of.

this post has been insightful for sure!

@alexnow @nivantj

there's another failure point specifically for NFC i.e. ApplePay/GooglePay/SamsungPay which is hardware failure on the device

Just this week, this happened to me and ApplePay stopped working
    - The Wallet app was responding, showed cards, Touch ID etc
    - wouldn't allow me to complete transactions coz it wouldn't talk to the card reader.
    - Went to the Apple store and they tested it; turns out there is a hardware failure.
    - They have to replace the logic board but the device is out of warranty

So for me to get back to having the convenience of ApplePay would require me to either
    a. purchase a refurbished phone for $2xxx
    b. buy a brand new iPhone

It's OK. I will learn to carry my card and wallet again.

shri and alexdown like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3