Like Tree8Likes

Wearing a face mask issues?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wearing a face mask issues?

Anyone getting dry, chapped lips as a result of wearing a face mask? Also feeling mote light headed and dizzy. I wouldn't say I'm using them hours on end but around 4 to 5 hours a day.

Original Post Deleted
    Judging by the symptoms I’d say a gimp mask

The N95-esque masks gave my skin extreme itchiness and broke it out so terribly( mild exaggeration) that it's not been that bad in all the 10 years I've lived in HK.

I hope this mask wearing thing will not become a race issue. Like 'gwailo don't wear masks'. I see as many Chinese as gwailo who do not wear masks. I also see plenty of gwailo who DO wear masks. Please keep in mind that there are relatively few gwailos in the see of humanity that is Hong Kong. They easily stand out. Please do not attach you prejudice to 'other people' in this difficult time.

It comes down to breathing economy.

Mouth breathers are unable to draw deep breaths and will always have difficulty breathing with a mask on. Let's also add poor cardiovascular fitness and you discomfort levels go up even more.

You can improve breathing technique very quickly. Fitness takes time and may involve weight loss too.

Wrt your lips, you ever heard of Chapstick or Burt's Bees?

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    The N95-esque masks gave my skin extreme itchiness and broke it out so terribly( mild exaggeration) that it's not been that bad in all the 10 years I've lived in HK.
    Plenty of bad batches going around - fake/ re-cycled. Or maybe you have the wrong fit?

Also noticed pollution is getting progressively worse in Hong Kong. Don't really care what it being repeorted by government agencies...
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Cheers! I use a combo of Sebamed chapstick and jojoba oil. It's manageable now, just wondering if others are experiencing similar issues.

Using regular medical masks but rest of family don't have any symptoms.

Some people seem to be wearing double masks to avoid irritation- the inner one being the spongy black sleek type that is otherwise utterly useless as a mask (because they're basically a sponge with giant holes in them). Outer layer is the usual medical type.

I find the 3M 7502 respirator very confy to wear, it doesn't get damp inside (face sauna). Actually I have tried and I've fallen asleep with it on.... I use it with P100 filters. 3M 2091's....

Can get them on Thompson road in Wan Chai from the shop that sells the work safety gear. Filters have to get online, but beware lots of fakes coming from china.... even when you source in the USA, they are just chinese, and there are multiple companies fake. They are quite easy to detect with visual inspection or their photos.

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    Anyone getting dry, chapped lips as a result of wearing a face mask? Also feeling mote light headed and dizzy. I wouldn't say I'm using them hours on end but around 4 to 5 hours a day.
    Which brand?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast